• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy line

JoeTC

What do you guys use for decoy line? I just started spearing last year and I just grabbed some old tip-up line and that seemed to work ok. It's 36lb braided dacron. I connect my line to a bungee cord to absorb any shock should a fish hit. I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were and if there would be any reason to use anything else.

Joe

That should be fine. I use a superline I take off my muskie reels. I put the line on el-cheapo spincast reels and hang them above the hole. Easy to adjust the depth of the decoy and you can set the drag loose enough for them to take line.

I do the same thing as Sham except i use 15 lb. big game when im using fake dekes and I use 6 or 8lb. trilene when using live dekes. I don't really care for using braid lines to me its just one more thing that could spook them before coming in.

I use 12# flourocarbon that I found on sale. Maybe not necessary, but why not? The line is wrapped around a wood spool hanging from a bungee cord.

Does anyone use a wire leader or worry about losing decoys?

i use P line on a old button reel. Most of you have seen my set up. i have the drag on the reel set light, so if i do have a monster come in and hit it, it will take the drag and not loose the decoy. i dont like them to see the line in the water when the decoys are moving around.

i use 15 lb braided line on older reels also so if a fish hits it it can take line out. once or twice a year i cut off 3-4 feet also. also use a swivel snap for easy removal and changing dekes but i remove the swivel so when you play your deke the line twists and you have a slow turn/unwind in your deke.

I use a fly fishing reel that I hang over my hole cover. The reel has a nice drag set-up. I put 30lb braided tip-up line on on the reel with a 5 foot 16lb trilene monofiliment leader. I have never had any fish spook.