• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SHOWDOWN vs.. VEX vs. MARCUM

dodger31

SHOWDOWN=P.O.O.P.

Compared to what???

I think you will see a signifcant increase from the Zercom you are currently using. The showdown is a nice starter flasher, especially to someone who might not be accustomed to using a flasher in the past (vertical display).

Will it outperform a 4 or 5 hundred dollar flasher? Of course not, but it is hardly a waste of money either.

Personally, if I was limited to a strict budget, I would opt for the Marcum VX-1 especially if you can find one on the older (non pro) versions.

I agree with Detro...The VX-1 is way better.

Dtro, you said compared to what.....the name of this post is Showdown vs. Marcum and Vexilar. I am just saying I will take the Pepsi Challenge with ANY Vexilar, or Marcum compared to the Showdown. A guy I know had one of those last year fishing in my portable and he got a neck-ache from peeking at my FL-18. Like I always say "To each their own"...but if we are trying to advise a guy, lets keep him in the right direction...which is the VX-1 at minimum.

I think Dodger should get a top of the the line HB Ice-55 laugh

That way we can look to him to provide us some feedback on these new units wink

Never used one, and there was a lot of early talk when they were announced - but I am suprised we have heard so little from users early experiences with them on the ice. Maybe it is just because the Vex & Marcum guys are the only ones willing to risk some of the thin ice out there grin

I seem to be having problems picking up small baits with my ICE-45. I don't know if it's normal or not, but I can't pick up size 10 Ratso's in 12 ft. of water without maxing out the gain. I'm not sure I'm happy with it yet.

I picked up the Ice45 this weekend. I hope it's worth the money. Never had any problems what so ever with my vex, so I hope this is just as good or better like they say it is...

Just wanted to upgrade to something differant, we see what happens.....

I seem to be having problems picking up small baits with my ICE-45. I don't know if it's normal or not, but I can't pick up size 10 Ratso's in 12 ft. of water without maxing out the gain. I'm not sure I'm happy with it yet.

Mozy, I can't imagine that if is working correctly if you have to turn your gain max to see a small jig. I have/had both marcums and vex's and normally you have to only turn up the gain a couple notches at most (if at all), especially at the depth your at. Only time I had a problem similar to your is when the ducer went bad on the Marcum. I would beat the rush and call Hummingbird support and/or return/exchange your unit for another.

I think DTRO and tip-up summed it up well. There's nothing wrong with the Showdown and it would be a nice improvement over your older Zercom. And if you really want the Showdown there is no reason to stay away from it. But if you're not sure that the Showdown is the unit you want, over the long haul you might be happier with one of the entry-level flashers from Marcum, Vex or HB.

I carry all of these products on my HSOforum, you can check them out and compare prices and features there if you want.

Sorry to hear. I contemplated the 55 but went with the FL-20. I think I will be content, but I probably could have been content with the Fl-8

Ya, I agree, anything new would be an improvement.

My dad and one of my friends bot got a showdown and like them. My dad got it when it was the VPG and I sent it in for the showdown update. Kinda nice that you can make it better with just a new program. I have taken it out a couple times and like it, it is just different than a flasher and takes getting used too. I would bet that it has better target seperation, especially when zoomed in, than my FL8 does. It does not pick up fish "below bottom" like the FL8 does though. My dad likes it because its easier for him to decipher than the dial on a flasher.

I have a old FL8 and love it. I won't be getting a new one until something happens to it.

I also have freinds that have a variety of the marcum units and they all like them too.

Maybe look for a used one. Save the dough for going on a long trip up to the woods or something. When I am forced to get a new unit I will be looking for a Vexilar, just because of the abuse mine has taken.

Dodger did you have a Colorpoint? A vx-1 will give you like seperation with zoom for less money than you paid for your colorpoint if you bought it new. Try to find one of VX-1's for $199 that's the best steal out there right now and available at our sponsor pro fishing supply below...

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/