• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

clam base camp

walldoggie

These are brand new this year, so there's likely few with direct experience with the Clam hub shacks.

My brother uses an Eskimo version, and he likes his. I buess etting it up in the wind can be tricky, but once you get the hang of it I guess it is not a problem.

i was thinking about getting the command post but not sure how often it would be used or how fun it would be to try and fit it in the little carrying case it comes in, ezpecially when your hands are numb on those cold nights

My buddy picked one up at the ice show. Fished out of it a few times and it's sweet. Nice and heavy material, keeps you warm, really roomy, you can stand up in it. I really like the fish house. Nice and light to carry around as well.

My biggest concern is how they handle in the wind. Seems to me they could be tremendously painful to set up/take down in the wind.

Should be fine once you get it staked in. Right?

I have one and think it's a great house. The fabric is nice and thick and very durable and the zipper is great too. Each window (4) has a pocket under for extra storage and has vents as well. I am 6'5" and can stand up easily in there without ducking which is very nice. Set up and tear down is right around 5min or less, if it is windy helps if you have someone with, but point the door in the direction of the wind and it will hold it open, I don't use the ropes that come with the anchors, I use bungee cords and find they are much easier to use and easier as well. I set it up in 20+ mph one day and it took maybe 10 min to set up, but it was also my 2nd time setting up. If you have any other questions feel free to ask away..I forgot to mention once you have it anchored in any wind, it isn't going anywhere

I had of the cabelas version of this and I thought it was good for what I paid. It was kinda hard to set up in the wind. As for fitting it in the case, that was really easy. Take down was really fast to, just pop in the sides and roof and put it in the case. If its really really cold I would be careful because when I pulled the roof to set it up, the poles snapped when it was -20 out.

i was thinking about getting the command post but not sure how often it would be used or how fun it would be to try and fit it in the little carrying case it comes in, ezpecially when your hands are numb on those cold nights

Geppy -- these are very easy to fit into the carry case. Once you have them folded down/collapsed, they roll up just like a tent in a nice and tight package and fit easily in the case, the best part is you can do it with decent sized gloves on and not loose any tightness in the roll...(if that makes sense)

The wife bought me a Basecamp for Christmas (I love that girl!). It's very easy to set up/take down. The thing that takes the longest is putting in the ice anchors. I take along a small hand drill to start the holes, which makes it easier & faster.

It's very stable in stronger winds. I had it out on Waconia on Sunday in about 15-20 mph winds, no issues. Enough room for the me, the wife, and 2 young kids. Also had 2 buddy heaters, a vex, and camera in there......

As BigWade said, it's easy to get back into the bag when you're finished.

I am at odds as to how to rate mine. I love it and dislike (not hate) at the same time. I tell you everything people say about the roomyness and height is spot on. The fabric is tuff, keeps heat in very nicely and it is light and easy to carry. The set up can be quick.

Typically this is what I have in it with me. 11# propane tank with sunflower heater, humminbird 787 C2I in a customised tool box, aqauview, tackle box, two 5 gallon buckets and a minnow bucket.

The cons -

My hubs on the walls must be anchored down. If not, the slightest wind and a wall will collapse on me.

As I said above the set up can be quick, but since the first time I used mine and it took off across the ice on me set up takes longer now. All four corner anchors are screwed in all the way down. The four hub anchors go halfway.

If there is wind but no snow on the ice to cover the flaps around the base camp the flaps will rise letting in light and wind.

The grommets are a little weak.

If you move a lot, it may not be the best option.

My tips -

1 Anchor down 2 to all four corners before popping into shape.

2 Screw the anchors in all the way down to prevent wind from picking up a side.

3 anchor down the hubs if there is any wind.

4 Using a customised drill bit to get the anchors in quicker may be helpfull. I have only thought of this, but not done it yet.

5 Position you door down wind otherwise if the wind is +15 you may watch your shack become a kite when you open the door (See tip number 2 and 3).

Some may disagree with what I have said, this is all just my opinion.

I would give it a 7.62grinout of 10.

A word about Clam. I had an issue with the first one I bought and took it to the Clam shop. They set it up for me and looked at it. Gave me a new one on the spot and let me keep the anchors from the old one. Very helpful and friendly folks over there. Great customer service will make for future purchases by me.

Hope this helps.

I love this product. I think everyone else has had a great analysis of the Base Camp. I just wanted to reiterate that the ice anchors work a lot better than you think they would work. I bought four more ice anchors (less than $10) so if it gets really windy I can anchor the four sides AND the four corners. Use bungees instead of the ropes for anchoring the sides. I am continually amazed at the size of this shanty. I had a bunch of people over for an "ice party" and at one point I had SEVEN people standing in the shack at one time. THREE people were fishing. (Including a 20# tank, heater, and depth finder). Then, at the end of the day, the shack folds up and fits in the trunk of my CAR! It amazes me, but maybe I'm easily impressed. Another thing to consider is that this shanty will hold alot of moisture so everytime that I come home from fishing I set it up in my basement, put a fan/dehumidifier in the middle, and let it defrost. Usually takes an hour or so, but I feel like it might lengthen the life of the product and makes it easier for set up next time since it won't be covered in ice. Also, it's best when you have 2 people for set-up. If you fish alone, I might try a different product. For the money (Got mine for $230 at Thorne Bros.), the size, and the weight/storage, it is tough to beat.

OTHER DRAWBACK TO CONSIDER: Feet are directly on the ice so might get a little chilly...to which I say, toughen up, Wussboy.

Yeah, I have a great little Otter Den that I use when alone. Sometimes I can fit another person in it. But would really like something like this for my more frequent social ice fishing adventures. Taking out family, or going with a few more friends.

I looked at the command post went with a double ground blind same size used two times both times winds were around high teens to low twentys one guy alittle tough but with two works great last time out banked from inside first then aroung the outside no anchores used the last time no problems. and can still use this fall.