Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
311Hemi

What oil to use in a older snowblower?

7 posts in this topic

I am changing the oil on an old snow blower I got from a friend and just got running. It's an old B&S 6hp. Just wondering what oil I should be running in it. I was thinking SAE30 might be too thick when starting cold....so I was going to fill with 10w30. Any thoughts?

I bought a new blower and the oil recommendations go down to 5-30 depending on temp,after break in period I'll be using 5-30.Different low temps different viscosity recommended

I was told by a mechanic not to use multi-viscosity oils in small engines. This was after a lawn mower engine blew. The internal temps are different than in an auto for which the multi's are designed. I'd look for a straight weight 5 or 10. Use the SAE30 if you cannot find a thinner weight.

I went with a 5w30 as recommended on the Briggs and Straton site (and here) for snowblowers.

Thanks

maint_change-oil_oil-weight.gif

I was told by a mechanic not to use multi-viscosity oils in small engines. This was after a lawn mower engine blew. The internal temps are different than in an auto for which the multi's are designed. I'd look for a straight weight 5 or 10. Use the SAE30 if you cannot find a thinner weight.

That was true 20 years ago but with today's oils there is no worry.