Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buzbunni

LX-5 w LX-3tc

10 posts in this topic

Howdy gang. I'm thinking about gettin' a new flasher to compliment the LX-3tc that I already own (need to be able to loan out the lx-5....errr....lx-3 to guests).

I remember hearing rumblings (rumors) last year that the two did not play well together? I have no problem getting another LX-3tc, as it has worked well for me, but I thought it would be nice to have an upgraded unit.

If power/interference issues are an issue when using the LX-5 and LX-3tc together, then I think I'll go with the lower-priced unit; if not, then I'll be happy to get the LX-5 for myself...errr...my guests.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I have an LX-5 and an LX-35tc that are often being used side-by-side in a flip-over portable. I have no interference issues. It's really easy to reject out the interference on the LX-5, it's a little tougher to clean up the LX-3tc display but it works every time.

Like PJ said, there will really only be a few situations where they will not play nice. The deeper the water and the harder the bottom, the more problems you will have. But I too have had the 2 units working side by side many times.. I too have an LX-3 and an LX-5.

Yep, it’s tough to say that you will never have any issues, but for the most part you shouldn’t have too many problems.

Lakes further up North that are deeper with rock bottom will pose some issues. Interference, echoes, double echoes, triple echoes grin Here’s where it’s nice to have a little extra juice to tune that stuff out.

Here’s where it’s nice to have a little extra juice to tune that stuff out.

So the extra power the Marcum units have increases your ability to cancel out interference? Wow i didn't know that. I didn't know the two were interrelated.

I honestly don't know if the extra power helped or not. I do know that there were others with an LX3 that were having a difficult time with interference fishing near me in 60ft of water with hard rock bottom, while my display was crystal clear.

That was an isolated incident though based on all the right factors of the deep water with a hard bottom and sharp break and fishing in a small radius.

The more flashers around, the harder it is to get rid of "the monkey races" on your display. It seems that most modern flashers will cooperate with each other with a little tweaking when there is only two of them. Add a third flasher to the mix and things start to get hairy, somebody won't be able to dial in thiers as well as the other two. That's when it pays to have the topdog flasher. wink

Darter, because I wanted to know for myself, I contacted Marcum/Nature vision with that question.

The reply I received basically said that power means everything in sonar for a clean clear return signal. The more power you throw out at the beginning the more power (read cleaner signal) is returned.

Think of it as a ball being thrown against a wall. The harder you throw it, the better it comes back to you, the same holds true for a sonar signal.

If you have a strong signal being sent out, the capability of the interference rejection working better is a lot higher due to a cleaner, truer signal. Target separation is greatly increased and helps when fishing in weeds and such, to pick out the fish. Along with all of this, distortion is kept at a bare minimum giving you a better clearer picture on your dial.

After it’s explained to me it makes sense.

Good info dtro. Thanks.

Now the question becomes: Am I selfless enough to let my guest use the LX-5?

Hmmmm.......

I guess it depends on the quality (and perhaps quantity) of snacks they bring along.