• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coleman Blackcat Heater burns up!

gulllakeguy

Question

Just a heads up for all of you FM'ers out there. Dad had his Blackcat heater in his enclosed deerstand and left it to help his 14 year old grandson(who was also in the stand with him) field dress his first deer. Grandpa is working on the deer and grandson hollers "Grandpa the deerstand is on fire!" Both guns burned up. Plus gear. Called the fire dept cause he was worried about fire spreading with the high winds. One Firemen said 27 years of firefighting and this was his first Deerstand fire. Looking back we all feel lucky that they weren't in the stand because we think it may have malfunctioned and started on fire. The heater was in the middle of a 8x8 stand sitting on the floor so it did not tip and nothing could have fell on it. Lesson is never leave a heater like this unattended. On a lighter note we all went staight down to Gander Mtn. and purchased 2 new guns. We told them our cry story and they really gave my dad and nephew some great deals. Great people in there at the Baxter store. Well were just going to sight the new guns in this morning and it's back to the woods. Good luck all.

8 answers to this question

Not to mention, our episode might have had a little "operator error" behind it. laugh

I remember waking up in the middle of the night in my tent wondering what in the heck was going on, there was a mini-roar of jet propane, and the sky was all lit up! First thought was that one of my campmates was now a gooey mess of melted nylon. Nahhh, just a close call. wink