• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

House dog or Kennel dog?

2springers

I guess I kind of take exception to the "good enough to hunt with but not good enough to live with" Just because my dog lives in a kennel doesn't mean that he doesn't get enough attention. He is constantly riding along, when we go places, we spend most of our days outside during the warmer seasons, and heat the garage and spend a lot of time outside in the winter. It is one thing when you lock your dog in the kennel and hardly ever let it out. It is another when you spend lots of time with your buddy everyday. I hate seeing dogs that get no attention day after day. I would never own a dog if I couldn't spend a good amount of time with it. Have had dogs all my life, some inside and some outside. I don't think you can say your dog has bonded more because he is inside than mine has bonded because he is a kennel/outdoor dog. Usually I dont go on this long, but this one really hit a nerve for some reason. I spend lots of time with my buddy and feel like you are lumping all dog owners who keep their dog outdoors a step below you.

I have 2 labs that live in house with me, the wife and little girl. I only hunt one of them but they live better than most humans. I think it makes a better dog because they have to be more obedient. Id rather sleep with my huntin dog every night other than the wife. DOG DOESNT SNOR AS LOUD!!!

I guess I kind of take exception to the "good enough to hunt with but not good enough to live with" Just because my dog lives in a kennel doesn't mean that he doesn't get enough attention. He is constantly riding along, when we go places, we spend most of our days outside during the warmer seasons, and heat the garage and spend a lot of time outside in the winter. It is one thing when you lock your dog in the kennel and hardly ever let it out. It is another when you spend lots of time with your buddy everyday. I hate seeing dogs that get no attention day after day. I would never own a dog if I couldn't spend a good amount of time with it. Have had dogs all my life, some inside and some outside. I don't think you can say your dog has bonded more because he is inside than mine has bonded because he is a kennel/outdoor dog. Usually I dont go on this long, but this one really hit a nerve for some reason. I spend lots of time with my buddy and feel like you are lumping all dog owners who keep their dog outdoors a step below you.

Good post. ok since a couple of you say that you bond better with a house dog with no proof. I'll say outside dogs are tougher and better hunters. Doubt I could prove that but not much different than what others have said about in or out issue. I agree with jiggin. I spend a lot of time with my dogs during a day. My dogs are very very well controlled etc. It's a pretty bold statement for some of you to say dogs aren't bonded well if outside.

Originally Posted By: verg

My dogs are in and out of the kennels all day long. They ride around in the truck with me etc. I hunt 3-4 days a week sometimes twice a day.

Thats great that your dogs get to go for car rides, and get to hunt 3 or 4 days a week for 3 months out of the year.

By your comments I'm guessing you're on your first dog.

Where did I ever say they don't get attention the other 9 months? Sounds like your dog hunts about 3 times a year and sits in the house and gets fat and arthritic by the time it is 7 years old.

I brought up the trainer remark because that is what I do in the summer months. Train others dogs. If you don't know..don't speak. You'd be amazed at how fast you can create a bond with a dog..NO MATTER its living quarters.

I'm not saying a house dog doesn't bond well..I bet it does. But the few of you who are bold enough to say that you can't bond well with an outside dog are obviously speaking with little dog knowledge.

One other thing to mention. My vet said this...(now this is just her study and one vet not a whole group)She did a study during her med. days and she found on average that outside dogs were healthier than inside dogs. She mentioned that outside dogs pace more and burn up calories and get more exercise overall than an inside dog. She said they develop better coats. She found that inside dogs lack exercise and tend to be overweight and develop arthritis at earlier ages.

This was HER findings and other vets may disagree but this was a year long experiment for her vet. school assignment and her conclusion on her findings.

She likened it to wolves, foxes and coyotes. She said they live to be very old in harsh climates if undisturbed. "For an animal of those species to live to be 12 years old in a wild tough world is pretty amazing."

Again..her language but I'm not sure I disagree or am qualified to.

Guys,

It matters not if a dog lives in the house or not. It is only one's opinion if it is better or not... Dogs will and do bond with their owners well if they are inside or out. I have had a few 'inside' dogs, but much prefer an outside dog. You'd be hard pressed to tell me my dogs have not bonded with me, or wouldn't do anything I ask of them. I've had dogs that lived on a pro's truck 80% of the year only to come home and act like they've never been gone. They even bond with the pro as if he is their Master. I've sold adult dogs that had to make an adjustment to a new family and did so without skipping a beat, only to show me a few years later that they truely do remember me. Bonds are bonds... they do not go away, but they are not the same as a human bond. Animals are much more adaptable.

These are animals... we are putting human emotion into an animal's thought process... doesn't work. Dog's are opportunistic, if you give them some attention, some discipline and some food, they are yours... the cuddley, smarmey, stuffed teddy bear carrying inside the house stuff is fun, but a dog does not need it to survive. In the end it gives you no stronger bond or tie to your animal.

This does not mean I do not love, nor at times, that I do not spoil my dogs. I do! I dote on them on occassion, I give them attention and they also get the 'what for' when they deserve it. They are mine and I am their's. It is a bond... but I can assure you in their mind it is not emotional, but rather out of convenience and nessacity. I do not believe dogs have a true 'love' emotion. But rather a devotion emotion.

So don't get to worked up over if a dog should be in or out. I prefer 'out' and it works for me. It does not make me less of an owner and they are not less of a dog. They come into a heated garage on the cold winter nights. They come into a motel room with me after the hunt... maybe even some bed time... but all in all, they are outside, they love it because it is what they know.

Good Luck!

Ken

My dog is an outside dog that comes in the mud room on very cold nights. Now, by outside that means kennel by day and yard or garage by evening / night. When weekends roll around he spends almost zero time in the kennel.

We make a great team and when I spend a day in the field with him - I hardly every say a word. We hunt together and enjoy our silent partnership. We have a pretty strong bond and unspoken communication. He is not perfect, but I am pretty certain his mistakes have nothing to do whether he is an indoor or an outdoor dog.

Remember, we are talking about dogs. Now my children, they are house children.

Yeah my post was a little vague too. I think it's fine if they're in a kennel all day if you're at work or something, but I do think if you are home there's no reason the dog shouldn't be in the house for at least a few hours a day.

Just my two cents.

To each their own. As Ken pointed out, there is no right or wrong answer with this question. It is a personal preference and what works well with your situation.

For me, I see all my hunting dogs being outside dogs. Works for me and my family.

My 2 year old lab lives indoors... When i first got him i was going to have him in a kennel, but i changed my mind after reading about what many are talking about on this post. I think it is very important to have a strong bond between you in your dog.. that's just me, everyone is different

i agree with any way you want to go, inside or out. One thing i cant stand though is an outside dog that is never let out of his kennel, i hate it when owners do this.

Personally my dog(2 year old lab) is indoors, i wish he was outdoors. His coat is not at thick as i wish it to be and fear late season hunting might be out of the deal. he's indoors becuase i bought him when i was still in an apartment. When i bought my house i didnt have the time nor the money to build a kennel in the garage with access to the backyard, plus..my backyard wasnt fenced in at the time.

I do believe you can bond with a dog no matter indoor and outdoor and i believe this bond doesnt vary from indoor to outdoor. Ken's post hit it on the head and explained the dog emotions well. I just like Ken believe dogs have no clue about love but yet devotion.

Daniel