• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

base camp

Eric Wetteland

If you have a regular buddy heater it puts out 4000/9000 BTUs for the low/high settings. This is rated for 3800 BTUs.

Probably best used for a one man portable (nice and small). Or borderline for heating a smaller tow man if the temps are too cold out.

Matt, I think he was talkin about the new Mr. Heater Base Camp model that is coming out this year. It should be in stores soon. I like the looks of the heater and think it will work well for a medium sized flip over or say a clam 5600 size house. A three man flipover house is probably better served by a sunflower. This new Base Camp from Mr. Heater kinda takes the cool features of the buddy and combine them with the old school sunflower, but a bit smaller size than typical.

Matt how are you doing tonight. polarsusd81 you are right I'm talking about the Mr Heater Base Camp. The thing I like about it is it looks small. If its small and puts out heat that maybe a good heater for first ice. If not I will stick it out with my little buddy or cooker.have a good night I'm off to work.

Eric, I am pretty sure Matt was thinkin about the new Clam Base Camp. It is a pretty cool system, they have a couple different sizes. Two companies come out with a product at the same time with the same name, and they would probably work well with each other. Funny stuff.

For first ice, I think this new heater would be awesome. I like that it is cool to the touch right away and has the low O2 sensors. But then again so would a Coleman Sport Cat or even just handwarmers if you weren't in the house.

For me first ice is going super light. RodPac with three rods and some jigs/plastics, a chisel, and my vex. I hope to have two or three trips with the bare minimum this year before there is enough ice to drag the sled on. Got my local first lake picked already. Yeah, kinda pumped.

The price of the base camp is a little steep though. Not sure if the features are worth the extra money in a 1 man portable. There is enough venting that I feel comfortable with the sunflower type. Not to mention more BTU's.

That thing only puts out 3800 BTU/HR

A standard heater/cooker will put out 8000 BTU/HR on the lowest setting.

It might be enough for a single man. I wouldn't want to rely on it for anything bigger.

I would think that with a small two man house you would probably be alright with this heater. I have the trap guide and a heater/cooker and I can only run it about 5 minutes before I have to shut it off for 30 in my shack, maybe 10 minutes most on the coldest of days.

I was only talking about using it for Sm shacks. You know on those days it's not -20 outside. I'm talking running and gunning. Is it going to be better than my little buddy and by better I mean stay lit. I have so many problems with my heater.If you think of wind it will go out. I put the pop can wind thing on it and it helps but it still needs some help.

Eric Wetteland

Eric,

I guess time will tell for how well this heater will work. I havent talked to anyone who has first hand use of it yet. But, it will definately save some weight in the small trap when running and gunning. And will give enough heat to sit over to warm you up on occasion. But yeah, definately not enough on those really cold days IMHO. But, some people can handle the cold better then others. Personally, the Little Buddy is just about right in my Pro on the real cold days, sometimes on the highest setting.

For the buddy not staying lit, a shield or small piece of metal to protect the flame is the way to go. Can be a simple piece of sheet metal used to keep the wind off the flame. I wish Mr. Heater would see that this is a problem and cure it. But for now, my friend makes some flame shields for me to curb the problem. Both my Buddy's and Big Buddy's work great now.