• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for more speed

sparkydm

I've got a 2004 honda rancher 350 4x4. I'd like to get a few more mph. Will adding the fwd disconnect kit give me a few more mph? What about taller tires? Can't afford a new machine right now. Thanks for any tips or tricks!

The engine is governed by rpm. The only way to go faster is to

A. overide the governor...

B. change gear ratio... (not available to my knowledge)

C. put on taller tires in the hope that the engine will be able to overcome the loss of ratio and still top out the governor.

D. Imagine you are going faster than you think. wink

What is the easiest, is to accept the limitation of the ATV and revel in the fact that the time you save not working on it is more seat time to enjoy.

Go with D. Like MacGyver said there is not many ways to gain speed on a utility machine. The warn 242 4x4 unlocker will make the machine feel a little more sporty but wont gain you much speed. I would recommend the unlocker to anyone with a full time 4x4 because it will make the machine easier and more comfortable to ride when 4x4 is not needed.

Any mod. you do is not going to give you the results you desire. You could do all of these and have an increase in speed but it would be negligible if you were on the dragstrip and running against stock machines you would probaby win (dependant on rider weight) by tenths or hundredths of a second. This is a utility quad don't waste your money live with it or save your pennies for a new unit.

Look into a Dynatec CDI. It will change your timing curve and increase low end power and irt removes your rev limiter so you can gain a little top end. Add taller tires and you will get a few more MPH. I gained 8 MPH on my Brute Force. Be careful as it will also remove the rev limiter in reverse.