• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

stabalizer length

Actually a longer stabilizer will usually balance the bow in your hand better. The reason you don't see longer stabilizers on hunting rigs is that they get in the way when bushwhacking through the woods, don't fit in bow cases, & overall are just not practical. We're not shooting 10 rings in the woods... just need something to absorb a bit of shock and add some forward weight.

I used to be in the "short stab." club but after the suggestion of some of the guys at Cabin Fever I tried a couple of the 10-12" stabs. I think they do a better job of calming down the bow wandering while sighting and they don't get in the way as much as I thought. Now I've got an 11.5" stab and it does great. I bushwack a lot and hike all over the place. Except for keeping it in the case I have no complaints.

Wieght gives you ballance, length gives you stability. Freestyle target shooters like that long length for more stability. So a 10 ounce stabilizer that is 4 inches long or 30 inches long will ballance the same but the 30 incher should give you tighter groups. Then there's the vibration factor. Lots of the short stabilizers help reduce it different ways.

It doesn't take much to stablilize most new bows. A $20 S-coil will give you all the dampening you need. I like the added length and a little extra weight for the balance and the stability. I cna really trell the difference between my scoil and my vibracheck.

as others have said, its not really the length of the stab that stabilizes the bow, its the weight of it. The length does help stop bow movement. The longer the stab the more it will correct shaking and such. Its why you see target bows with 36" long stabilizers.

Shorter stabilizers are easier to move around in a tree, I for one like the added confidence I get from a slightly longer stabilizer. I think mine on my bow is a 12" doinker.