• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Kinds of Features Should I Mark In Open and Fish When Iced Over?

Tuds75

My family just purchased a cabin on a northern MN lake and I do not know many ice fishing locations. I will be fishing the lake a few more times before it ices over.

I have a H20 GPS and a Lowrance x125 on my boat and I am wondering what kind of things on the depthfingers I should be way-pointing on the GPS so I can more efficiently find affective fishing areas when ice fishing starts (ex. what depths and what kind of structure on what part of the lake).

I will mainly fish panfish on the ice and possibly some walleye.

Thanks In Advance,

Nick

Last existing green "weeds". Rock humps, shelves, sunken islands, humps, etc. Shallow and deep. Research your lake either from prior posts or local info and see where fish are typically staging at different times of the year. If you get into them late fall, i.e. now, then you won't be that far off come first ice.

Depending on the depth of the lake crappies should move into the deeper holes after ice over so say anywhere from 30-50 feet another words the main basin(s) would be a good spot to mark. In the winter drill some holes out in the basin and use your flasher to find what part of the water column the fish are located in.

Good Luck in your search!

Ryan

On the early ice my magic #s are 18-20 FOW. That depth seems to be the best for multiple species for me. If I go into deeper water I can find the crappies...but it usually rules out a Walleye or Northern. I have just had great success pulling ALL types of species in 18 feet out of the same hole. Just my thoughts.

Mark as many inside turns on the weed points as you can. Those areas will hold fish come first ice. Also mark any isolated weed patches just off from the main weed line. I would also look for nice shallow (7-15 feet) gravel spots with available deep water near by... those will be good walleye spots for setting up at night.

Also mark any deep wood that you know of...

On the early ice my magic #s are 18-20 FOW. That depth seems to be the best for multiple species for me. If I go into deeper water I can find the crappies...but it usually rules out a Walleye or Northern. I have just had great success pulling ALL types of species in 18 feet out of the same hole. Just my thoughts.

That's where I like to start too. Especially if the 18-20 FOW are just off of a deeper hole. The pannies seem to come up out of the deep at sundown to feed at these depths.