• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1959 Johnson Prop Slip...

Cody-A

Ah.. now that I think about it some more you're right.. no hub on a shear pin motor (the whole point of the hub was to go to a splined prop shaft and get rid of the shear pin). Good catch Sparcebag.

Hm... since it's not that, it could be like primetime 49 said, a short shaft motor on a long shaft boat, or perhaps lower unit issues.

What does your motor do in reverse?

marine_man

You're assumptions are correct, no hub to slip on that motor.

Has the gear lube been drained and examined? Any shavings or burned smell? I've seen the drive shaft splines (going into the powerhead) slip also.

Thanks for all the input guys! I took it out this weekend and it starts right up, and I was going about a solid 4 mph's. But when I took it out of the water the lower unit was leaking oil. I think my problem is pretty big. The lower unit may be cracked or something pretty bad. Not sure what to do now. Thanks again!

I hate to disagree with the experts here but I'm sure the older props with the shear pin hub used a rubber cushion inside the prop. I have owned these motors and have personally spun the hub. At least have that checked out.

You may have other issues as well with the oil leaking and that absolutely needs to be addressed. A new lower unit will cost more than the motor is worth.