• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turning a Garden tractor into a ATV

BradT

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a Murray Ultra 19hp Garden tractor that I use for more of ATVing then garden stuff. I'm looking for input if anyone else uses a tractor for more "offroad" applications, and what kind of mods can be done to make them better. There's no deck on mine and I put some ATV take off tires on it, but it only does about 7.5 MPH and I'd like to get some more speed without losing the pulling power or blowing the motor. I've heard about putting on different pullies wich I have yet to try, any info from someone that did mods to their tractor would be greatly apprietiated. I plan on using mine for pulling my portable fishhouse around, dragging deer out, and just genral "offroad" screwing around. Thanks in advance.

First a Chrysler outboard then an "off-road" Garden tractor! Where will it end???? Nobody says you need to spend lots of money to get the job done...A larger diameter set of tires may help to change the final drive ratio and give you more top speed. May help with additional ground clearance too. Let us know what works out. Interesting project.

and I'd like to get some more speed without losing the pulling power or blowing the motor.

Brad, awesome! This isn't a modification for the tractor, but if you just want more speed, possibly find a nice hill that has some tough terrain to work over. Let gravity give you a little boost. My wife is telling me to add "wear a helmet!"

I agree, "wear a helmet"! smile

A garden tractor is built to go 7 mph and that's probably it. Just adding go fast mods and nothing else can be dangerous. I don't think the front pinned on wheels are meant to go 30+ mph. laugh

I would say save up money for a used 4wheeler. By the time you have your tractor even somewhat close to a quad you could have just used that money for an older used 4wheeler that will make you much happier.

The worst part will be the lack of suspension I would think. If you get this thing going too fast over any terrain that is not smooooth you will end up rupturing a spleen or some other necessary body part! For sure it would not be good for the hemorrhoids!

I'm not trying to kill myself, I just figured about 12-13mph would be fine. I did put bigger tires on the back, the ATV tires are 25X11-12 with low air pressure for a little "suspension". Going to the bigger tires got me from 5.5mph to 7 or so. It's more of just a tinkering project. I'd like to get a real ATV soon, but this is just for fun. After selling off the part that I didn't need I only have $15 into it, so it's not like I'm creating a money pit. I have pics but I can't seem to post them, I'll have to try again. I used it last weekend to pull lumber out for my deer stand and it worked great.