• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Fall Lures - Upgrading Tackle

couillard.10

Hey, I am just starting to get out fishing more as the season is coming to an end and my tackle box is getting smaller in size from losing lures.

I am going to be investing in a number of new lures and wanted to know which lures you like best or that are most effective for the fall season. I do a lot of bass fishing on smaller lakes and some pike fishing.

Any input would be appreciated.

Jigs and trailers of your choice and larger spinner baits.

You can never go wrong with black/blue jigs, however, I have found that going with "fall" colors (red, orange, yellow, brown) seems to work out allright. And thats on any lure.

Go with larger than average profiles. Bulk up the bait and fish it slow. This being when water temps get around the 50 degree mark. Last weekend with 64 degree water, they were hitting retrieves at close to normal speeds.

I'm sure people have their favorites. I'm just being general.

Thanks.

I just purchased a larger white spinner bait with red accents because i've heard that these are good colors for bass. But i will try the black and blue.

I like to fish a smaller black spinner bait and this usually works well.

Hey.. I went out this morning and fished for a good 4 hours but not even a bite!

Should i be fishing deep or shallow when the temperatures are in the 40-50 degree range. And should i be fishing weed lines or where else?

Try some Swim Baits on jigs, and 4" swim shads on jigs. Jigs may range from 14 oz to 3/4 oz for speed trolling large swim baits.

Adding a scent option like Dr. Juice Walleye is a good plan, I pickle my plastics with Juice ahead of time...add to the package a few shots of Juice.

Larger profile, good thump, natural action, can be cast or trolled.

Very effective on big fall walleye.

ED have you ever injected your plastics with DR. Juice or anything else. If not try it it works wonders at times. Only thing I found is some pastics are more dense and they dont take as much in. Others have more air space for the scent to go into. I use a diabetics needle.

Im even thinking about finding a way to inject my stick baits but Im worried that added weight inside would ruin the actions.

I personally throw spinnerbaits all year long. And I stick with one in particular, Terminators. Chartreuse skirts do the trick for me. Got out on Saturday on a Ramsey Cty lake and nailed the largies. Biggest was 3.5lbs on the terminator. All CPRd.

does anyone have an opinion on a shallow crankbait this time of year?

I've been doing pretty good with some Bomber "B"s and DT3Fat Raps over the remaining weeds. Otherwise DT6's and 10's at the first drop offs have been doing good too.

Try some Swim Baits on jigs, and 4" swim shads on jigs. Jigs may range from 14 oz to 3/4 oz for speed trolling large swim baits.

Adding a scent option like Dr. Juice Walleye is a good plan, I pickle my plastics with Juice ahead of time...add to the package a few shots of Juice.

Larger profile, good thump, natural action, can be cast or trolled.

Very effective on big fall walleye.

What kind of rod are you using to cast those heavy jigs? How deep do you fish them?

I use a 7' med to med heavy spinning rod. You could use up to a 8' rod if you want. Longer rod means better hook sets on the ends of nonger casts. I like 10# Power Pro for line because I can feel when I have weeds on my line better than with mono. Plus you get great hooksets on those longer casts too. Just set your drag so it just slips a bit on a good fish.