• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

can't resist lure?

b1gf1sh1

when you see a top water lure, you didn't hear about first before you see it, say like a prop bait or other ''splash'' style bait of that type. what's the most important thing you look for that makes it poison to your wallet? naturally i'm expecting stuff like certain colors, manufacturer, quality components and the like. really i can't think of much else than those besides it ''looks'' like it is a can't fail lure and/or is unique. any other input? or if you like go ahead and put what i've said already if you can't think of anything else either.

my major poison is simply contrasting colors and ease of use. either alone or combined. guess i gotta throw in quality if it's a little spendy.

i just paid for a one year banner ad. and just so you know ahead of time... i'll be after a little of that money you'll be saving up for lures all winter long. grin

Tail baits - I just want them to run right. I don't like when they hang up and I don't want to keep on twitching it to get it back running. The deeper the pop pop, the better. A good tail can't be bent by your fingers, but it is good to bend it with a pliers sometimes for a deeper pop.

WTD- Less effort the better. I like more splash and it should be built like a tank. (top of the line componants)

Globes- it depends on the chimey noise. Some are different than others.

On a different note, I would like to see a bait that is wood and tinks like a pacemaker. I am very dissapointed that they switched to the composite pacemaker. It doesn't have to be the same but the same premise would be good.

I am not a fan of Hawg Wobbler baits but alot of people are

Color- Black or very dark is black isn't availible

I am at a point now where I think that some topwaters have too much action and comotion. 3 props a spinner and a clanker is just too much. sound is one thing but too much sound is another.

Just some random thoughts

I think the plop plop noise needs to be different these days. They all seem to have a different sound, that can't hurt. I like the deeper plop sound too vs the higher pitched one's.

I'll buy a weedless topwater in a heartbeat, hahaha i know....

-Jeff

nice reply's all. thanks. what if some company came up with a line of wood lures... say two styles same concept to start, just a little different, had a wide array of great classic and unique contrasting colors, high pitch and low pitch sound/vibration(hence two styles), excellent split profile, all top quality components... wolverine, VMC etc., was totally unique and no fish on your lake could have seen it's like before. say one could be casted like a rocket, flew perfectly straight like an arrow, yet remained relitively light, say 2 ozs, made from cedar with almost no ballast, as far or farther than say... a top raider, the other casted not quite as nice but still was well above average for the style, both could be reeled in as fast as you could, and also was impossible to reel too slow to not spin and have action. and had worm proof epoxy coating... would something like that be appealing or are they put back on the wall hook and forgot about untill proven?

Quit teasin' us! Though I'm convinced it's not the look they key in on (they don't usually get a good enough look at it) but rather the sound and commotion, so the fact they hadn't seen them before wouldn't mean as much to me, but if they were a different sound than most everything they hear on a regular basis that might have some merit. Like John mentions above I just want a bait that runs true and works all the time in, with the waves or against, and doesn't take a bunch of twitching or work to get it to go. However, I'm also becoming more and more convinced that timing is everything, and when they're in the mood to eat it doesn't matter what you throw (as long as it's the appropriate tool for the situation), and when they don't feel like eating it don't matter what you throw smile Hence the Cowgirl effect, where they see hundreds in a given day but when the time is right they still eat it.

When I was fishing with Chad Cain, he tied on a Mini Humper on the first spot of the morning. Neve heard of it before, but as soon as he casted it, I HEARD IT!!! Awesome bait. Sounds great in calm water or waves. Not overly large, can cast a mile and built tough. Chad boated two fish on the lure that day and had to make no adjustments to it! I stopped at Reeds on the way home and bought me one!

10,000...........can't believe you don't like the Hawgwobblers! Great baits, but I know some folks just don't have the patience to fish them!

Quote:
but as soon as he casted it, I HEARD IT!!! Awesome bait.

smile thats the stuff i'm looking for. i've belived in critical stimulus for years. sound is probably most important for a fish to locate a lure. the rest could all be tied for second, IMHO. what is there in a top wake bait for locating? waves/ripples so they can follow the V created much like they might if it were a duckling or small mammal? contrast to make it easier to see against a varied or single background, flash helps locating... then to entice a strike, profile so it looks like something it's eaten before naturally, or at least looks like it will fill them up without too much effort. i would say action is the most important to entice a strike. let me ask you this... what about a lure that when reeled slow resembles something like a few baitfish at the surface acting eraticly? i've watched shad for years in the croix and if i throw a few dried up crumbled bread crumbs they go crazy on the surface. same with little sunnies. really not a whole lot of sound just a faint splashing. keeping in mind that small fish bring bigger fish and bigger fish bring even bigger fish and so on. i thought why not try and emulate that? without a bunch of clanking for calm waters. and major racket in rough waters. think i'm on the right track, or not?