• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heater/lantern and 1 tank?

SpikeRoberts

Question

Is there an off-the-shelf product that will allow me to run my lantern and my heater off of one propane tank? I think it would be much more convenient and cheaper to run both off of a 5# tank rather than buying the disposable bottles for each appliance. I know that Cabela's sells "Three outlet saftey post", but I want something with a shorter (6"-12") post and only one hose to run to my heater.

If not available off the shelf, can I buy the parts and build something like this? Any tips from the more mechanically inclined are appreciated!!

13 answers to this question

You can get the adapters from someone who sells propane or a hardware store or where you bought the 5 lb cylinder should have them the only thing I strongly recomend is that you teflon tape ALL joints. I did this several years ago and it is not to hard if you do it right you can get a compact unit that is strong and light, I have never regreted combining the two I have a single mantle lantern and a small "sun" heater on the same tank works great. If you want a picture I will have to round up a camera, but not a big problem.

They were selling these at the ice fishing show last year, you could mount a heater and lantern on them. I think they were 25 or thirty bucks.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

I have a 3 outlet post that is about 12" tall and is made by Coleman (about 10 years old, not sure if they still make it). I use it for camping and have used it a couple of times in my clam with a lantern on top (total height on a #11 tank is about 3') and hooked to a heater. Had to buy a 6' extender hose for the heater. Would also recommend using teflon tape on the
connections also.
Xplorer

Check this out, looks like what you are looking for:

http://www.gijoes.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=982641&cp=713407

Go down to the "2 outlet adapter with POL connector".Hope this is Ok, there isnt any conflict with a product on this sight. Sorry if it is not, just trying to help him out. Xplorer

[This message has been edited by Xplorer (edited 10-16-2002).]

Thanks for the responses guys. That adapter looks like the ticket, but it raises another question -- how can I run the applications independently? At times I will need to run the heater and not the lantern or vive-versa, can I insert shut off valaves between the adapter and the appliances without adding excessive bulk?

Xplorer,
Sometimes the obvious is elusive, thanks for pointing that out. For some reason, I was envisioning gas flowing through my sunflower and filling up my shelter for a big-bang. I don't why it didn't occur to me that I can leave the disposable tank on when the appliance is not in use w/o it spewing gas and could do the same with a bigger tank. I guess its been too long since I used them -- man I hope the next six weeks pass quickly, I obviously need some ice time (that obvious point didn't escape me) grin.gif

If there is no aplience on the outlet, no gas can flow thrue it they has a safety valve built into them. You may want to test this outside first before using it in the shack.

Spike,
Hate to be obvious, but there are shutoffs on each of the items (heater and lantern) grin.gif So you can use one, both, or neither. No need for inline shutoffs. The only thing i would possibly inquire about is to make sure that you can screw on the lantern OK without it hitting the propane tank collar. Its hard to tell exactly how far out from the tank the first outlet would be when screwed in.
Xplorer

cwmn is correct, no gas flows thru an opening unless there an appliance in it. I have never had all three of the outlets used at the same time on mine, and it was fine in the clam (i always keep both zipper tops partially open with a heater going in the tent to vent fumes tho) Good luck on the ice, which is forming here in the duluth area. It was 14 yesterday morning and a few flurries this morning.
Xplorer

I've seen a dual set-up made of copper pipe and fashioned in the shape of a goal post. I recall there were a number of different combinations of lanterns and sunflowers on display but I'm not sure if the adapter could be purchased separately. You may want to contact Hanson's Little Bear Bait. They had a bunch of them a couple years ago.

[This message has been edited by metrojoe (edited 10-18-2002).]

FYI........For $11, Menards has a "T" fitting for LP tanks. After you screw this fitting on the valve, you can attach an appliance out front (Mr. Heater) and a disposable cylinder appliance (lantern?) out the top. The appliances would be right on top of the tank. If you wanted to raise the lantern appliance up higher, a tube/pipe would have to be added.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 10-23-2002).]