• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bad start to early goose season.

SSSTaxidermy

Well actually early goose never even started for me yet. More on that in just a min, but first of all, It's nice seeing pics and hearing stories of you boys (and gals too) that have started your goose hunting experiences. Nice work. I'm so jealous

Well I didn't get a chance to make it out opening morning. Why? Well here is why...

Doesn't she look pleased and embarrassed to havea picture taken with the lamp shade on? LOL

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

The story:

So the other weekend, Aug 30th...I let my lab outside to go potty for the night. It was just starting to get dark...I spotted a kitty cat sitting underneath my snowmobile trailer. It wasn't 10 seconds later, my lab sees it too and freezes. She looks back me with the expression of like... "Hey do you see that kitty cat? I really want to chase and get it...Can I? Can I? Can I?". I couldn't resist, snapped my fingers, pointed and said..."GUNNER GET IT!" She tore off after it, and the chase was on. The cat was mere inches in front of Gunner. the cat took a hard left...looking to pass underneath the tractor. Both they went. Just then, I hear a yelp...The chase was done. My lab starts to gingerly walk towards me with her tail tucked...I could tell she was in some pain. I looked her over and noticed a patch of fur off and a 2-3 inch gash. It appeared to only penetrate the top layer and wasn't bleeding. I brought her back inside. Gave her an aspirin and she laid down for the night. I walked outside with the flashlight to check to see what she could have hit it on. Well it was a 4x4 piece of angle iron hanging down a good foot ½ - 2 feet, they were brackets for the bucket loader. I was up north at my parents place...and with it labor day weekend, I couldn't get ahold of the area vet. I figured my lab would be fine till A.M. I woke up early that Labor Day Monday and drove the 3 hrs home to have my vet assess it. The result...6 stitches with a drain tube. What great timing huh? 5 days away from early goose hunting and my pup is laid up. Stitches come out Sep 16th. As far as energy and mobility go...She is back to normal. It is like it never happened. Still have to keep the activity level low, so near zero training. If the physical signs weren't viable, you wouldn't' have a clue. I'm thinking I'll be able to hunt with her Sept 20th, if things continue to progress the way they are currently moving. But don't want to rush anything, as I can sacrifice some early season hunting, to have her for the long haul the remaining of the season.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. I know the feeling.

Last season the Wednesday before Pheasant opener I took Maggie out fr a run and to take some pictures. The first time in five years I did not put her vest on and she has a run in with a barbed wire fence. About in the same spot as Gunner's wound. I think it was 8 stitches and 5 staples later, I asked the vet if Maggie could hunt on Saturday. His response was to watch her the next couple of days and on Saturday make sure she wears her vest. Maggie hunted all day on opener and was a ball of fire the entire day.

Take it easy with Gunner a few days, and before you know it he will be tearing it up!

I had a Brittany once and a couple of friends came over with a male lab. The lab wanted to fight with my Britt. the guy who owned the lab said "Let them go at it". Friend # two said "what's the best thing that could happen if you let them fight"? The only answer was the lab gets knocked off his high horse a little IF he looses. Well if that is the BEST thing that can happen what was the worse thing? Needless to say never would I or did I let the two dogs "Go at it". Same thing with the cat. What is the best thing that could happen sending the dog after the cat? After looking at the pics I now know what the worst thing is. Lesson learned.. Hope she hunts soon.

I certainly don't want to sound like a Dick here but why would you do that?

Cat or otherwise all you have done, other than what happened, is start a real bad habit of your dog chasing every animal it sees. Rabbits, squirrels, skunks, porcupine and cats.

What you had was a really good training opportunity in front of you, a control opportunity, for the future and you past for some, what you thought, was going to be fun.

Live and learn I guess. I am certain when something like this happens again you will look more to the training and less at the fun side of the situation.

GOOD LUCK with your friends healing process and hope your season is a success!!!!

Ahhh, the old conehead!!! By now shes hit every chair and doorway, the last time one of my dogs had a conehead, she actually tore it up because she had hit so many things.

I let me dogs chase cats, hopefully they'll run them up a tree and it will be hunting season when I have my shotgun in hand. I can tell the difference between when they're on a cat or a bird. Cats are just subsidized bird killers. Keep them inside if you care for them.