• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hog roast

I have never roasted one but always say I am going to but if you google "3men with nothing better to do" there is a lot of good info on what you will want to do thru out the whole cooking and serving process. Very time consuming but well worth the wait laugh

We slit the skin in several spots all over the hog and insert a clove of garlic under the skin. We inject butter garlic marinade all over the hog and slather the inner cavity with the rest of the jar of marinande after injecting the pig and sprinkle in some seasonings. Couple of big cans of Bavarian saurekraut in the cavity along with 3 lbs. of brats and on the smoker she goes. The smoker we rent is not a rotisserie style, but rather a big smoker with a grate to lay the hog on and they do not recommend turning the hog (though we do once a clouple hours into the cooking process). You just have to turn it before it is cooked to far... lesson learned! the feet pulled off upon turning once, so now we do it 2 hours in to the process. 2 whole turkeys that are injected and rubbed with seasonings go on the side of the smoker for 4-5 hours and you have a meal for anyone who shows up. We learned on our first try that not everyone will eat roast pig. Sp now we have Pulled pork, brats and kraut, and turkey! A cold keg of 1919 root beer and a few adult beverages for those old enough, side dishes and deserts... MMM MMm. I oughtta think about doing another next summer, been a couple years now. My brother and I have done 4 now and each one we do a little better. The above was the last way we did it.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have roasted alot of hogs over the years and what we have done is used a rub of spices and rubbed the whole inside of the hog with it then depending on the size of the hog we stuff the cavity with whole roasting chickens also with a thick coating of spices 6-8 birds usually fills them up nicely. An easy way to get this done is go to the supermarket and you can buy whole roasting chicken from golden plump I believe that have a hickory rub and lemon pepper, unbag them take the giblets out and put them right into the cavity. I have also used a syringe and injected marinade right into the hog itself just like Labs4me. There are alot of premade marinades out there you can buy off the shelf or you can concoct your own. One other thing you could do, is sprinkle natures season over the meat once it is cut and pulled and mix that around as that is a nice combo for pork as well. We set out one pan of pulled pork with BBQ sauce, one plain with the natures season on it and the chicken all gets put into one pan. Good luck, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Ken Davis and Famous Daves are usually what we use for BBQ sauce and you can get them in gallon jugs.

Tunrevir~

Cook times really depend on the type of roaster you have andthe size of the hog. We used to start a charcoal roaster at 5 a.m. get the hog, stuff it with the chickens and put it on the roaster at 6 and cook it at 350 for 8-9 hours. 200lbers fully cooked by 3:30 taken off at 4 and cut up for dinner. The propane roasters I have used have been a lower temp cook and a 24 hour deal, start them at 10 and take them off at 10 clean them up and be ready to serve folks at 11. If you rent a roaster the folks who rent it will have suggested cook times for you and temps to cook at. Have a few people lined up for cutting and cleanup. We typically will have four to 6 guys for cutting.

Tunrevir~

I have a little experience- I do 800+ a year...its my job.

We use all propane roasters. 16-26 hour cooking time. Slow and Low! Back in the old days when we used charcoal, it was still a 15 hour cook time. If you use coal, use just enough, but not too much. Speed cooking takes flavor away.

Ask me any questions you may have.