• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally some good luck deep.

Fever

I hit a Annandale area lake yesterday fished from 6:30 till about 4pm. I started shallow with a frog and a buzzbait and caught a handfull of 13 - 15 inchers. fun but that bite died off around 8:30ish. I used my H2o ifinder and got on top of a sunken island that topped out at about 9fow and had thick cabbage and coontail (island was about the size of a double stall garage) and it was surrounded but a good drop on all sides droping into 15-19fow. I took a firetiger DT10 and started casting around the edges. Caught fish after fish on about every other cast for about half an hour. That bite started to peter out so I grabbed a jig and started probing a bit more into the weeds (shallower) and it was on... I caught more fish than I could keep track of... what a blast. Biggest was just a hair under 19 inches but she was super fat. I'm guessing real close if not a tad over 5lb. Most fish on the jig were around the 16-17inch size. That ifinder with the lake master chip... wow, cant say enough about it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind catching fish shallow but it seems so much more rewarding to be off shore and get into them... In hind site I should have tried the drop shot just to get more used to it but I was having too much success with the jig-n-trailer.

Heres a couple pictures of my largest deep fish from my sunday the 24th outing. Just shy of 19 inches. Difficult to take pics when your by yourself without a timer on the digital camera but none the less.... I'm heading out there to try my luck on that spot again. I may give the drop shot a whirl.

picturesfromdigitalcam8-26-08007.jpg

picturesfromdigitalcam8-26-08006.jpg

B-n-s, what lake are ya thinking? I hit the spot again last night. I found that it is difficult to drop shot when it's windy. (NO luck with the D.S.) I was on the lake from 5:45 till 8:15 and I did catch 10 bass in total and one real nice pike on a crankbait. 32.5 incher... Nice fight. Also caught a 12.5 inch Crappie on a crank. Crazy. No big bass, all were in the 14 - 15 inch range. But all came on a jig or a Crank. I think the morning and day bite there with a little less wind would be better. Still fun to continue to learn different approaches and have little tastes of success to help boost confidence.

So are you saying that the fish basically sets the hook on themselve? I felt some light bites with the drop shot but figured it was panfish action as nothing actually took it. I was using a 4 inch wacky rigged sinko in red shad color. With the Jig it was an obvious solid thump and with the crank it was simply a BANG... (which were both way fun) here is a pic of the nice pike I hauled in on a crank.

picturesfromdigitalcam8-27-08.jpg

No, not saying that the fish hook them selves. But they often dont let go right away. I set the hook with a dropshot this way. When i feel a bite, I start to reel fast till the rod gets a bend to it, I then snap my wrist. IF you snap your wrist like a normal hook set you can sling shot the lure out of the fishes mouth. You need the point of the hook to dig first before you drive it home.

At least this is what works for me.

Nice pike.

Deitz, by reading your description I'm thinking I may have had some takers but I didn't handle them properly.... live and learn. I'd like to get better at that approach. By the way, are you back at school? Work shops? I am. Have CPR renewal training in a few minutes.

B-n-S, I would say that you could see my DT10 which pictured near that pike down probably 2 feet... so now its not too clear. I think earlier it was better. Possibly good towards fall and winter. Why you thinking you'd like to spear a pike like that? Seriously fun fight. Took some long deep runs. I had 40 lb p.p. and luckily the fish had just the rear treble in the side of its craw.

Just got done with CPR training... Its different every time. Keeps changing. Now its 30 and two. Anyway, we have open house tonight 7:30-9:30. Seems late huh?

very late... ours goes till 6pm,.

CPR training, like you said, they always seem to change their mind... I think as long as your doing chest compressions and giving a breath every now and then, your giving the person a chance they didn't have before you started.

Agreed... Difference between young children and adults though seems to be likeliness of a resperatory failure compared to cardio failure so in young kids they said 15 compressions then two breaths compared to 30 and then two.

Dietz, what would your approach be the day after a large thunderstorm. I'm sure most area lakes received a few inches of rain last night so how do you think it'll effect the bite?

Hard to say, it really didn't have a high pressure system behind it, or cool off much. My guess, it didn't affect them much at all... I would for sure check where water run off enters the lake. Moving water is always a good thing.

I know I will be heading out in the morning.

Last night of our league fishing is tonight. Point wise I think I'm stuck in 5th out of 12. If we happen to win there is a chance at moving up to 4. Unfortunatly league pays to third. Haven't won a single week this year. Got third four times and finished 4th another 4 with two 5ths.... Just can't seem to get that big kicker fish on league nights. Today happens to be my 33rd birthday so maybe luck will be on our side tonight. Championship is next Sat.