• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

YWD is nothing more than a tool used by the DNR to decrease the opening day harvest.

Why would the DNR do this? Do they get some kind of bonus from the guys down south for every duck that leaves the state early?

I do agree with the thoughts of the kids getting the first shots though, thats just the way it should be. Do they need a special day, maybe not, but it helps to get them out on the water in a more controled enviroment, everyone is putting the kids first that day. There is much less sky busting and other jerk moves than on opening day by others on the water. And those cocky 20 year old kids only concerned about shooting limits and thinking they own the planet are sitting at home watching TV....... whistlegrin

to say that shooting geese off of fields pushes them out the same as shooting them off the roost is not true in my opninion. i hunted the same 150 birds 3 weekends of early season last fall in western minnesota. they never flew more than 5 miles from the roost to feed. 2 other groups of hunters were on these birds as well, and by the last days of the season they were pretty educated, but we still shot a few. opening day of duck season, those same birds were pushed out by the leasee of that flocks roost. he doesnt shoot geese, but they wont go back in there once he shoots out of his duck boat. i have no problem with water hunting in general; i just think that with a little more education and ethics, field hunters and water hunters can all get shooting and contribute to the states goal for the early seasons.

Here's my novel.....please refer to eyepatrol, I agree with you %100.

Years ago kids learned how to hunt on the opener. My first year I was the only one the shoot at the first 2-3 flocks of teal that buzzed us, after I shot 2 my dad said OK, enough of that, now you have to wait for some mallards!

I don't know a father that wouldn't do this for their son/daughter.

I fear we are losing more of the older hunters who would take their kids out and teach them how to hunt, than we are gaining new youth hunters.

I distinctly remember my first duck opener back in 1983 when I was just about to turn 11 years old. Dad let me shoot my limit of ducks that day before he even picked his gun up. 3 bw teal, 2 woodies and one big fat hen mallard. And all we had for decoys was 4 magnum bluebill dekes! crazygrin

I'll never forget the hen mallard. That thing kept coming and coming and my dad kept telling me to "take it! take it!" I told him no, let it come closer and sure enough, I dropped that puppy on the inside edge of the dekes. eekcool Good thing I was shooting the 410! laugh

Man! Those were the days! The first shot would ring out at noon and the sky would be BLACK with ducks! cool

I distinctly remember my first duck opener back in 1983 when I was just about to turn 11 years old. Dad let me shoot my limit of ducks that day before he even picked his gun up. 3 bw teal, 2 woodies and one big fat hen mallard. And all we had for decoys was 4 magnum bluebill dekes! crazygrin

I'll never forget the hen mallard. That thing kept coming and coming and my dad kept telling me to "take it! take it!" I told him no, let it come closer and sure enough, I dropped that puppy on the inside edge of the dekes. eekcool Good thing I was shooting the 410! laugh

Man! Those were the days! The first shot would ring out at noon and the sky would be BLACK with ducks! cool

good story! THAT is duck hunting!

What I am concerned about is this.....

The number of people hunting ducks in the state continues to slide.

While figures from the state DNR show duck hunter numbers were stable from 2006 to 2007 - at 87,000 - estimates from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service show a 5-percent decline - from about 74,000 hunters in 2006 to 70,000 last year.

The less hunters we have, the less political pull we have as a unified group.

isnt it obvious we dont have ANY political pull anyway? 2 meets at the capitol to show support and nothing. Duck hunters are the "red-headed step-child" of minnesota hunting.

MN DNR will always give permits to minnow farmers in our shallow lakes, because they are not fishable. MN DNR will always take a more "conservative" limit approach as the rest of the flyway takes theres. Ducks rights are prevailing over duck hunters rights, right before your eyes.. I send letters, I call, does it make a differance? no. not even worth my time anymore. Once the animal rights pukes win the ducks here like they are doing, I will hang up hunting too. At least that will a ways off.