• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Unit Issue

Dale Rueber

Here is my question up front followed by the story of how I got to this point.

Question: With the lower unit off and the shift in neutral should the drive shaft turn smoothly? When I turn the upper drive shaft (the one that connects to the motor head) it feels rough but I'm not sure if this is normal. The output shaft turns smoothly.

The Long Story:

Put the boat in on Saturday morning to do a little fishing on the St Croix and when I started the motor the starter gear did not release from the fly wheel. Turned it of and tried starting a couple more time hoping that it would free it self, no such luck. Loaded back on the trailer and headed home to start tearing it apart. Outboard manufacturers sure can pack a lot in a little space. After getting it apart and seeing that the pinion assembly had to be replaced I called some dealers and nobody had the part I needed on hand. I ordered the part and since the motor would be out of commission for a few days I decided that it was time to put in the water pump that I a purchased a few weeks ago. The water pump was sitting on a shelf just waiting for such an opportunity. When I drained the lower unit oil it was a nice creamy color so it was obvious that the seals needed to be replaced along with replacing the water pump. Went back in the house and put in another order for a lower unit seal kit. Now it looks like I will need to put in another order for bearings.

One more question: Are there any special tools I will need to replace the bearings?

I've had to do quite a lot of work on my 70 Johnson lower unit. They are different, I realize. Boatfixer is correct, you are prolly just feeling the gears meshing.

As far as special tools go, a service manual is worth it's weight in gold. Sounds like you know how to work a wrench, but the manual will let you in on stuff you may not know about, like clearances and shims and that kind of stuff. For me, it was the best 30 bucks I put into my boat motor.

Great idea Boilerguy. Where do you have to go to pick up an Evinrude manual? Do the repair shops carry manuals? I checked the Evinrude web site but it refered me to the "Ken Cook Company" for repair manuals but that web site did not list anything for my specific model.

FunFish, I happen to have an Evinrude service manual that I could e-mail to you if you give me your e-mail addy. It is in pdf form for Adobe Acrobat and is a large file (104,700kb).

Thanks but I'm not sure that the copyright would allow that. I have a full shop manual on order. Just out of curosity who is the author, Evinrude, Clymer... The reviews I read on-line were not very positive for the Clymer manuals.

It is the Evinrude manual. I believe it covers motors from 92 to 96. I bought it as a download on HSOList. It would be easier to use if I printed the whole thing out, I just don't feel up to the task as it is over 400 pages. I'm no expert but I don't believe it would be a copyright issue since I'm not offering it for commercial sale, and only for personal use. Take care.

Sorry FunFish, I tried to e-mail it and I can't send a file that big. Never tried before so I didn't know there were limits. I would burn a copy and mail it to you but you would already have yours by then.

Thanks for trying, I got my hardcopy yesterday and the seal kit for the lower unit. I finished the seals on the top and water pump. Now I have to get a wheel puller to finish the output shaft seals. I'm still waiting to get the starter pinion in the mail. The manual has proven to be worth the price already.

If I don't get back out fishing soon I will be begging for somebody to take me along. Last Sunday after I ordered the parts I grabbed a rod and tackle, headed to St Croix Bluffs and did a little shore fishing. I may have to go again so that I don't get any withdrawals. It was fun but not quite the same as sitting in the boat relaxing and fishing.