• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable depth finders?

mattash2225

Question

7 answers to this question

You could make any depthfinder into a portable one if you wanted to, by mounting it to a portable case/battery and rigging a transducer for the boat. Oftentimes the transducers are on suction cup mounts for ease of removal but they don't need to be mounted this way, there's other options too.

IMO the reason to go with a portable unit is if you want to use it in multiple boats. Otherwise going with a fixed mount unit is probably better --- better transducer mounting which is key to getting good readings, battery and unit fixed in place so not bouncing around in the boat, fixed mount units can be easily removed for theft prevention, etc.

I carry or can order a variety of portable depthfinders and a bunch of permanent mount ones. If you want to go through some options or recommendations I'd be happy to help, just shoot me an email if you're interested - the links are in my signature.

I have a Cuda 242 in mine. its not the portable model. its small and compact. I have it mounted on the middle seat. it unplugs and unclips from its mounts and fits in my glove box. I run it off a lawn tractor battery. the battery has run it all summer and I havent had to charge it yet. what kind of boat do you have? in my eyes the portable is too much work if you only use one boat.

( Note form Admin, Please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-you.)

A cuda 168 for around a hundred bucks. Use a vex or marcum battery and put it in a small portable cooler. Makes you portable when fishing with someone else and is also a great way to start ice fishing. They wont be as good as a flasher in winter but it is thousand times better then not having electronics at all

On all the advice, I picked up a non-portable. I'm nervous about the install because I'd love to just have it done right the first time. Anyone know where I could go to have someone install it for me? I assume some boat places or guys must do that right?