• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc Tiller Bogs Down When When Giving Gas???

LEECH21

I have a brand new 60hp Mercury tiller 4-stroke. It only has about 20 hours (tops) on the motor. The problem is, sometimes, not all, when I start the motor it bogs down. It starts just fine, but the second I give her a little gas it kinda sputters a bit, or it completely kills.

I just took it in to get the 20 hour check up on the motor and they said everything looked good. Am I not doing something right? What could be causing this?

Always had the problem from around the first times useing the motor.

It still does it sometimes even with a warm motor.

Is the water seperater filter easily found?

As far as the gas vents, I'm not sure. i usually just twist the cap as tight as she'll go.

Thanks

The small water seperater under the hood is easy to find, it is black on top with 2 small fuel lines running in a out and it has a clear base. It is only about 1.5 inches tall and about 1.25 inches across.

So, it's completely random, or happens more often at one time or another?

Do you squeeze the primer bulb prior to starting for the first time each day? It somewhat sounds like not allowing the motor to warm up before taking off to me, that or something with the carbs.

I presume you told the dealer about it when you had it in for the checkup?

marine_man

I have this same problem with a 1998 15hp Mariner.....I haven't tried too many things other than I bought a different gas tank and that helped a little not much......the only way I can get going without it bogging down and shutting off is have it in gear open and close the choke quickly and kick the throttle down at the same time......easy to do on the tiller....