• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does this hurt the hydraulic system??

Hoffer

Question

I have purchased a new used boat and with some maneuvering it fits in my garage. The issue is that with my old boat - the motor would trim all the way down and the prop would not touch the garage floor. The hydraulics were then "resting" cause the motor was trimmed all the way down and resting agaisnt the bracket. With this new boat - the skeg will hit the floor before the motor is trimmed all the way down - so when I park it in the garage - the hydraulics are having to "work" and keeping the motor part way up. I have it tilted down so just and inch of the skeg is off the floor. Will this harm the hydraulics to keep them "working" with the engine part way down - but not all the way down?? I was thinking I could find a one inch thick board - and then trim the motor down until the skeg is resting on the board...kind of like how the transom savers work...

What do you guys think...do I need to do this? Should I do this? or is it OK with the engine only trimmed part way down.

Thanks for your advice - you have always come through in the past!

8 answers to this question

Mark,

I would use a 2x4 on the floor and then trim it down like you mentioned. I do it on a couple of my boats in the garage in the winter. I've never had a problem with the trim units.

Good Luck

The amount of pressure on the hydraulic trim system when the motor is left raised a bit, is nothing compared to the loads it bears when the motor is under power. When not in use, it is basically "at rest" even though there is some load left on it.

We have several vehicles at work with lift gates that weigh over 1200 lbs that are held up constantly by the hydraulic system without problems. The only thing I would recommend is, if it is going to be left in that position for an extended time (over the winter) that you spray the exposed part of the cylinder with some sort of protectant to avoid corrosion on the ram. Otherise there is little risk of damage.

It will not hurt the hydraulics at all, but BE SURE to remember to raise the motor before moving it. I would discourage to rest skeg (and consequently whole motor) on floor, in case of a movement you will put pressure on a part then is not supposed to support any weight (skeg). As muleshack said, lower the tongue to raise motor.

Yeah, when the motor is resting in postion, it's just a check valve or two that are holding the oil in the trim cylinder from bleeding out.

Won't hurt a thing, although if either the cylinder or check valves leak, the motor may settle over time.

Hey guys...I have been gone fo awhile - so didnt get a chance to try out the suggestions until just now!

I went out to the garage and I put the tongue jack all the way done to the furthest it would go. It raised the back end enough so that i could trim the engine all the way down until it trimmed out. i have exactly 1/2 inch to spare - no more!! But it worked!! Now like you said I just have to remember to raise the engine before I move it. This boat came with everything except a swing tongue. The extra room it gave me with being able to put the motor all the way down - along with getting a swing tongue put in later this fall - should allow me to actually park the boat into my garage straight. Currently i have to swing it way over to the side. This will be really nice - and will allow me to park my car in the garage too. So many thanks!!!!

Mark

PS anyone know somebody around maple grove who installs swing tongues??