Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
T-water

minnkota prop

7 posts in this topic

Hey Folks

I have an older minkota and would like to takke the prop off so I can clean out the innards grease it if I should... I'm not sure how to take it off I don't want to force it and the wingnut deallybob doesn't budge. Any ideas would be appreciated!

I've always been able to loosen the wingnut using a needlenose pliers.

Yeah I looked at it again tonight. I got the wingnut off but then the center screw won't budge. Even used the power tools, what gives?

It might be left hand threads, other wise I don;t know.

Center screw won't move. It is the drive shaft rom the motor.

Once you take the wing nut off, lift the prop off the shaft, be careful don't lose the pin in the shaft.

The slot in the prop shaft is for is if your wing nut, or in my case airplane nut is too tight you can put a screwdriver in the slot to hold it in place to loosen the nut.

WW

Okay so I get the wingnut off, should I then try to pry the prop off?

Yes take the prop off and check to make sure there isnt any fishing line behind it. Pretty common. The prop shouldnt be too hard to take off. Also put a little never sieze on the parts so the next time it wont be so hard to get apart.

I dont like the plastic wing nuts because I had one come off and I lost my prop. I use a nylock nut on mine now. I think most come with them now.