• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help!!

I have a 03 F-150 4x4 5.4 Triton. 50,000 miles on it. Three times in the last 4 months it has acted up on me. What has happened is after driving for maybe a hour straight and shutting it off. I go back and try to start it within a few min. and it wont start. It will turn over and chug a bit and then die. It will start in a few hours and run fine again. The check engine light has never came on. The fuel pump kicks in when I turn the key on, but its like its not getting gas? Called Ford and they said untill it dies they wouldnt know where to start because nothing will show up bad when its running good again.Parts are not cheep, so where can I start?? Cant go anywhere without woundering if Im going to get back home. Also its not vapor locking, I open gas cap and still wont start. Thanks for any ideas!!!

I would expect 1 of 2 things. Fuel pump, or Idle air control (IAC). Next time it does it, try stepping on the gas pedal just a little if it starts then and runs, it could be the IAC. If it doesnt start then, turn the key on and off 3 times and see if it starts then, if it does it maybe a fuel pump. The first thing I would do, is try pulling codes out of it, then measure the fuel pressure, before throwing any parts at it. Parts arent cheap! I would lean more toward the fuel pump if I was to guess!

Have you noticed your fuel economy go down? I also like the cycling the key and light foot on throttle ideas. If those don't work go with throttle wide open.

Also its not vapor locking, I open gas cap and still wont start. Thanks for any ideas!!!

Vapor lock is the fuel boiling into vapor in the fuel rails due to excessive heat or low pressure. With the fuel pressures where they are in fuel injected vehicles this problem is virtually eliminated (higher pressure = higher boiling point). Removing the gas cap will have no effect on 99.9% of vehicles ever made. Cycling the key as shack mentioned will temporarily resolve the problem until the cause is determined.

Well to let you know, my truck finaly stoped running! It was the fuel pump.Funny it took 6 months of acting up before it went bad. You never know. It only had 51,000 miles on it but it went. Thanks for the help Recieved. hope this helps someone else.