• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Field Test Berkley IRON-SILK mono

Question

I have been testing the new IRON-SILK mono in the 25-30 pound range for catfish.

What I have found is it is a very high abrasion resistant line with superior strength and casting characteristics in comparison to any mono on the market that I have used.

Knot tying is a snap with no line burn from friction, producing a stronger link to the lure or bait.

The high visibility color is an excellent feature for night or day fishing.

So far I would say Berkley has a big winner on the shelf.

I plan to use the lighter weight lines into the fall for walleye and also expect excellent performance from them in the cold.

It is no replacement for FIRELINE, but as a mono it is a winner, they both have there place on spools.

I would be very interested to hear what others have found if they have also tested the new Berkley Trilene IRON-SILK mono.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red

18 answers to this question

Ed,

I haven't used the Iron Silk yet, but I may give it a shot in the near future. I'm looking for a new mono for fall jigging and ice fishing and I have yet to find the one I'm completely satisfied. I've given up on Trilene XT (a favorite for a long time) and
Stren, but I'm not sure what to try next. Would your rec. be to try the Iron Silk, or do you think something else might be a better option?
Scoot

I think you will like it. A lot of the pro's are switching to it because is is so easy to handle and low stetch.

Depending on what size you like for jigging I think 8 will act like 10-12 in Iron Silk? I would sure try 10 for cranks.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

I have used Iron silk once. It came off of my reel as fast as it went on. I found it to be bulky and not suitable for walleye jigging. I could not feel the subtle bites that my other boat mates were getting.
I have found the Berkly Sensation line to be better for jigging. The downside is it is not as limp as others, but the sensitivity is there.
I called berkly to try and get my money back from them on the iron silk and they said it is "desinged for casting to heavy cover because of its abrasion resistance". (Bass Fishing I assume)
I feel Fire Line out produces them all for most walleye applications hands down.
My 2cents

I have been using the 20 pound test on a baitcaster all summer for pitching worms and jigs and I love it. Regular mono always stetched too much for this style of fishing and Fireline is too much trouble for pitching and flipping, it tangles on the reel too much.
Anyway I do love this stuff for baitcasters, I am not sure how it would work on spinning tackle.

I too am a fan of FireLine on Med/Lt rods, especially in the lighter weight line sizes. But superbraids do have cold weather complications as well, they tend to freeze up guides and bails faster then mono.

One think I learned is to fit the line to the rod and the situation be it a mono or a superbraid.

High abrasion resistant lines in the past were way too stiff for cold water spinning reels and often puke off the spools due to line rigidity. That can make for a bummer of a tip fast.

Finding the right balance of abrasion resistance and flexibility has been tough to do for many line manufactures, I think the IronSilk is as close to perfect as we see at this time.

Personally I would like line manufactures to develop a scale that rates line by use in temperature ranges as well as casting flexibility ratings suitable for baitcasters as well as spinning gear.

That way in a glance you can compare a standard rating so you can fit it to your needs. An industry standard that all test against to get quantifiable comparisons on products.

Line characteristics are often a trade off in performance, one factor will diminish another’s performance very easily.

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Does Iron Silk make a clear line? I've seen the solar green and the darker green, but not a clear product. Also, how does diameter compare to standard mono? What pound Iron Silk is comparable to 8 lb. XT?
Scoot

IronSilk is a mono and it is far thinner then most monos but with a far higher abrasion and breakage ratio. Last night Scoot I was using the IronSilk #20 mint green and it cast like #10 mono for me, smooth stuff.

How many haybails did I have, compared to you?

LOL!

Couldn't help asking that, sorry Scoot. smile.gif

It is avalable in low visability mint green, hi-vis yellow. I am not sure if it is avalabe in a clear, I don't think so?

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Haybails??? What do you mean? I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Ok, maybe I got a professional overcast or two, but you have to admit- for a guy who's dealing with a complete lack of talent, ability, and knowledge... I do pretty well for a dumb fella!
Thanks for the tip on Iron Silk, I'll give it a go with my spinning rod in the next little while.
Scoot

Ed,
I just recently switched over to Ironsilk(8lb) and I gotta say I really like it. It works great for jigging, casting, trolling....etc. I'll agree it does have a tendancy to want to come off the spool from time to time but other than that it's performed well. It is definitely tougher than mono, I tried to bite through it and just about broke my tooth! If anyone is looking for a good line similar to mono give it a shot.

Jimmy

By the way Ed I just thought I would let you know I saw your picture in the 2003 Salmo catalog, nice fish!

Backwater Ed - Berkley line test: tested 20# SolarMint IronSilk on Lake Michigan great stuff on downriggers - did not lose a fish. Next, I'm going to test in on the Dipsy-Diver rods [if weather breaks] with a short snubber but think the stretch might be o.k. I had the good fortune to get my hands on this stuff from an Ol'Catfish sage on the Red River .... huummmmm Thanks - smile.gif
BB-LDF

Glad it worked out for ya Bill. Good stuff Eh!

I have even used the #20 to troll for walleye in the unforgiving brush and rock of the Red, it works well here too.

Take care Bill, I'm headed for Canada tonight to hunt piggy eye's Eh....wish me luck.

Ed

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

I have been night casting with the 6 & 8 # IRONSILK and man does that stuff spool off nice even now in the 38-40 temps.

Talk about Long Casts Eh, I be like'n this stuff Eh, yup-yup. Great feel too, I can feel a frog fart at 30 yard Eh. grin.gif

Good stuff!

Yup-Yup...Me likie this Ironsilk!

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

I used Ironsilk on the Red up North on my spinning rod- me likie too! I've tried it on a spinning rod for casting and had some problems with it coming off the spool, but for jigging I really liked it. Very sensitive like superline, but with all the benefits of mono (usability).
Scoot

I found it is better to not have the spool too full on a spinning reel or it will puke off more then if it is just a bit low, especially in cooler weather.

Another tip is to every so often make a longer cast so the line gets layed down smoothly on the spool again, it helps.

It does make a great jigging line though Eh Scoot?

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Honestly i plain suck at casting and getting hung up on bushes and trees. yeah its hard to accept that fact i know a few trees that look like theyve been decorated for x mas. So my question is i need a line that wont snap that easy when using cranks, and spinnerbaits. i also have my line sometimes snap on the throw and there goes my cranks and spinnerbaits. really far though lol I know i probably need to change my casting and be more aware but ahh hell i just need a tougher line i actually think i need a high stretch line so it will actually bounce back to me lol ouch ouch ouch. thanks for any info.

You may just need more practice I think?

I used to really SUCK with a baitcaster, with practice and a bit of coaching I do ok now. I still get FUBARS, but not nearly as many as before.

Knowing how to set a reel properly plus matching the right rod to the reel & then the line to the situation will sure help. If things are not set properly no one line in the world will be of much help.

For some task’s mono is best, while others a superbraid is the real deal. Warm weather and cold weather will also mess with performance so that should be factored in as well. I have found the higher the abrasion factor of a mono the poorer it tends to perform in cold weather for casting.

Nothing is perfect, tradeoffs are common when it comes to line. The new IronSilk is a far better choice in high abrasion line then any other I have used in cool weather situations. Power Pro may be the right choice for some casting and trolling patterns in cold weather, it will not absorb water like FireLine may once it has seen some wear.

Balance and practice, that's the $64 question, what is right for the situation you’re headed into?

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]