Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ec30_06

Anyone thought about this?

9 posts in this topic

I have been seeing a lot of gar lately now that the water has come down. Has anyone used them for cutbait before. Some spots they come right up to the boat, and you can probably grab them with your hands, or at least the net. I used the stomach of once when we ran low on other bait. It produced a 12lb channel. I will try it out and report back.

Many years ago - we tried using it as cut bait. It took a tin snips to cut through the skin of those South Dakota Gar....

A friend of mine actually tried to eat one - ALA "poor man's Lobster."

It wasn't....

We actually did net one a few weeks back on the MN up by Carver. Saw the same thing you did, many gar up close to the shore lines munching on baitfish. When it was quiet, you could actually hear their jaws snappin' on the surface.

Never thought of it before. All ways figured it was illegal.

They are very easy to catch and I wonder what a smaller live one hooked with a 10/0 would produce???

Shack- Methinks that's something we should try!~ unless it's deemed illegal. Big honkin' float over a 10/0 and enough lead to hold it still would be interesting

I have seen on two occasions in the last week where the gar are very active and saw a huge splash just where the gar was and it was no longer... So I to wonder about grabbing one and givig it a go.