• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water Stain on Ceiling

Coach Dog

Hey all. Flooded toilet (please don't ask how that happened) reulted in water leaking to the ceilingbelow in the basement. It is a sprayed ceiling and the water found a sheetrock seam and now there is a tinted spot about 3" wide and about 6' long. Any recommendations in covering it up? My dad mentioned that Kilz primer works good for it. BTW, the ceiling was sprayed about 6 months ago so it is new. Thanks guys!

Killz and binz are just sealers, you will have to paint over them to hide the stain. My recomendation is Prat and Lambert "Red Seal" flat oil white. It Sucks to use and you will have to paint the entire ceiling, but it will seal and hide in one step.

As said a sealer like Killz will be needed to stop it from bleeding through. By sprayed you might mean textured. You can get the Killz in a spray can, that would be the best way to apply it without damaging the texture. Now you'll need to add color to the area that has been sealed and blend that into the area around it. If color was added to the texture thats what you'll use. Again the best way to do that is by spraying. You can get a spray can that you add paint to and then pressurize.

I had the same problem kills covered it but it eventually bled through again,but now after the kills apply a coat of shellac,then paint.A 2 lb. cut of shellac is sanding sealer and I believe you can buy it in spray cans.