• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Installing Fans in my Ice-House

Jaspernuts

I know there has been a thread on this, but I don't know how to search. Im going to install computer fans in my house for circulation. I have heard they use little power and move a lot of air. Anybody else install these and do you have some tips on how to install?

We have two of them in our fish house. One on each end blowing down at a slight angle. We run them off of their own 12 volt gel cells. The are mounted to the center beam using really long screws through the holes in the corners of the fan. The screws go into the beam an inch or so and the fan slides down the screw shaft to the head. The back of the fans are about 4 inches from the ceiling. They really pull down and recirculate the heat.

I added 6 fans in our shack last year with a separate power switch next to each one. We mounted one on the ceiling to push warm air down and to the back of the house - it swivels left/right and up/down.

It's hard to explain, but I also added a hinged arm for each of the 5 fans over the holes. That way we could swing them down so they're blowing straight down on the hole when in use and flip them up and tuck them away when not is use or when landing fish. We had many nights where the size of the hole grew due to the warm air being blown on the ice overnight.

The fans were one of the best improvements we made in the house last year and they truly do run for a looong time on one battery. We run our 12v LED lights and fans off the same battery and one will last for a weekend.

I was not impressed at all by computer fans. I took them out and added a 6" fan. I hooked it to a live well switch - so if it is really cold I can leave it on, if it is not so cold I can turn it to aerate and it kicks on an off about every 2 minutes. I also installed a dimmer switch from a car so I can adjust the speed of the fan.

I have two 12V oscillating fans mounted an they work well but i also bought two huge deep cycle batteries power them, that was kinda mistake cause the batteries are to powerfull an the fans actually cool the air so I have to use an old car batterie that cant turn over a car but will hold just enough charge to run the fans all weekend an just enought circulate the air, i have sleeves going down to the ice from my camper floor an would like to get air down the tubes to help keep them open longer. Boar

this may sound stupid to some but it worked for me I put 2 computer fans in the ceiling of my shack and attached them to a line voltage thermostat that had provision for cooling the fans didnt come on till it got to the selected tem and would shut down when it went below it

I had a computer fan in my shack then switched to a 6" fan, both worked good but need to turn the radio up a liitle more. Now I am thinking of putting in a 12 volt cieling fan that you can run on low to keep the air circulating.