• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota River Report/First Flathead!

TMF89

Hey guys, we went out of the Hwy 101 Landing at Shakopee, and fished upriver.

Tried three spots, only caught fish at one, we pulled in a 10lb channel off a bullhead, and a 11lb flattie off cut bait. Go figure eh?

Towards the middle of the night we had at least 10-12 runs, but every time we grabbed the pole, the fish would either drop it, or there would be nothing there. Were they small channels just pecking at our bait, or what? Some of the runs were pretty long, 50-60 feet.

I was able to grab my first flathead though, an 11 pounder, but he was fun!

11lbFlathead7-21-08.jpg

I think a lot of the nibbles I have been getting are sheepies. The cut bait comes back with the skin scuffed up. Could be small channels too, but I have caught a couple sheeps that were "nibbling".

So what would you guys do to catch them? Downsize hooks and use crawlers/small cut-bait? If they were sheepies they were big ones, they really took clicker.

TMP89, very nice job! I commend you on your first flathead, and it was even over 10 lbs! Keep hammering away and you'll get bigger and better ones to boot. I have been stuck in dinkville lately, all under 10 lbs for the past month. But, any time you get a run, you have to be prepared, because the next one could be a real monster! Good luck!