• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clifton Highlands in Prescott

picksbigwagon

up until yesterday morning, I was feeling like my golf game was starting to come around but I am wavering right now in that philosophy. To begin with, I had another golf lesson on Tuesday and that always seems to goof me up (but once I learn to swing correctly, it will make me a better golfer) so needless to say I not hopeful for a great day.

I have never encountered greens like we played yesterday. No one in our group of 4 made a great putt, we were scrambling all day to hopefully two putt.

The course was great, the price was awesome, 30 bucks for 18 holes on a saturday. I came away yesterday with a 116, I was hoping for under 100, but when you lose 8 golf balls (driver was not cooperative, in fact all my tee shots were questionable) it is hard to keep the idea of double digits as a possibility.

If you are looking for a challenging course, venture over to prescott. We are already planning on another Brother-in-law border battle later this summer

I beat my brother and my brother in law, I didn't beat my brother's b-i-l. Nope I am not canning my driver. When I'm swinging right and not to the right, I hit 275+ and can keep it in the fairway. The course dictated control, and I am still learning that.

and by the way, it felt great to beat my brother in law and my brother......I think I can beat the other guy as well. 16 strokes for 8 lost balls, that gets me within 7 strokes of him. Control control control..............

That and not drinking too many beers the night before and have 4 beers during the round of golf........

played clifton again today, the greens are even worse when they are hard.........I had a lot of 3, 4, and even a 5 putt today. I shot a 116 again, my putter absolutely killed me today. I am always a two putt golfer, rarely 3 putting, but today was horrible.

If you haven't ventured over there yet, I paid 37.50 for 18 holes and 1/2 a cart....pretty reasonable rates for a challenging course

The same guy that owns Clifton also owns a course called Gopher Hills that has a huge new clubhouse. That course is about the same price per round and the course is in the best shape as it's been in all year. If your close to the Hastings - Cannon Falls area I would recommend giving that course a shot also.

Nope I am not canning my driver. When I'm swinging right and not to the right, I hit 275+ and can keep it in the fairway. The course dictated control, and I am still learning that.

If the course dictates control then why hit the driver? Use the 3 or 5 or even just use a long iron. Give yourself a chance at a second shot into the green. Maybe even leave yourself the oppurtunity to select what part of the green you want yo land your ball, that will also help your putting if you can leave yourself putting up hill most of the day.

To many guys get caught up in that big drive. Alot of guys can hit the 275 mark when they swing it right but how often does that happen? Heck I can go 300 if I want to but then I'll probably only put 1 of 5 in the fairway. I'd rather use a 3 iron that I can hit 225 and put 4 out of 5 in the fairway.

I would take that bet.

I think the main problem would be hitting the 225 mark each time. Some might only make it 220, but I would consider that to still be within the spirit of the statement I made.

I put 4 in a row in the fairway the other day with my 5 iron off the tee, all in the 200-210 range.

Ya know, I think the next time I go out, I will just use my 3 and 4 hybrid off the tee........until I figure out that driver thing. I spent part of saturday wroking on the short game at the park while the kids playing in the park....let me just say I can hit it out of tall crabgrass now........

I bet you see an improvement of a few strokes if you do. Its more about course management really.

I just got a new set of clubs and they had the 3 and 4 hybrids instead of the traditional 3 and 4 irons. Right now I am not a fan of them. I was rock solid with my previous long irons and while I am not terrible with them I lost some distance and some consistency with them. I will need to put more work into them to figure them out. I find myself going with my 5 iron alot more now until I can get the same confidence with the new hybrids as I had with my old traiditonal 3 and 4.

the key I have found with my hybrids is to not to try and swing too hard. swing it like you would a normal 3 or 4 iron and you will be amazed. Just like me with the driver, it will take time, but once I figured out my hybrids, I can almost out drive my brother in law with my 3 hybrid

I would agree with keeping the driver in the bag. I have been finding my scores going up significantly because on most courses, a typical par 4 is between 350 to 380 yards. A good shot with 5 wood/hybrid/long iron puts you in scoring range somewhere between 120 to 150 depending on club and distance. The key to Highlands and any course is put yourself in a position to make a good follow up shot and not get you in trouble.

Stick with those hybrids...when you get used to them, you can do lots of things with them. They are much more versatile out of the rough, and since most have a heavier feel to them, I feel it is easier to manipulate the ball flight...easy to hit too..

Steve

I took the advice and played sunday with out my driver (after the first 3 slices) I found I could hit the 3 wod about 240-250 yards, and can hit the hybrid 3 over 200....the driver was parked until I can get it figured out.

I only imploded on one hole, have you ever tried to hit through arbavida's (not sure how to spell it) that are trimmed up 3 feet from the ground? Took me 3 shots, no chance to go over them either.....

My score wasn't that great, but my short game was awesome, I stuck every green from 70 yards and in. I only had three, 3 putts for the day as well, 15 2 putt greens....just need to work on hitting the green in regulation a little more regularly too

Funny you mention hitting through that kind of stuff... At times, the best tool out there to get out of junk like that if you need to keep it low....is the putter!! Hit it hard, and roll it out of there...

Or...if possible, take an unplayable lie, with your penalty, and get back into play. Or...hit in a direction that gets you out of trouble, even if it means hitting in a direction that puts you further away from the hole. If it gives you a decent look/better shot than where you are at, it is the best decision you can make.

Steve

By the way, what did you score on that last round where the driver stayed in the bag?