• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Serviceing transfer case

What is involved in servicing the transfer case on my 06 F150? What else could possibly be done other than draining and refilling? Is it nessecary at 17000 miles? A dealer is after me to get it done soon.

I don't know specifically on the Ford's, but on my Silverado I've just drained and refilled. I wouldn't think that it would be necessary at 17K. I did mine at 20K and the fluid still looked like it was brand new.

Its not mentioned at the 18k, 20k, or 30k but it is mentioned at the 60k maintenance schedule. There should be a service schedule in the owners manual, I would check that also, if that says the same thing I would bring this to the service managers attention? There are enough things to fix on fords without having to make stuff up. wink (yup, I went there! grin)

I do mine about every 30,000 miles or so. It is easy and very cheap to do while the oil is draining from the eng...

I know most never do it and do not have issues.

I would check the owners manual like Air said and I would confront the service writer or managerw ith any miss information.

Good luck!

If you still have it under warranty make sure you do the suggested services at the appropriate mileage intervals listed in the owners manual. You don't want to get stuck with paying for something that would normally be covered under warranty just because you missed a service...like changing transfer fluid.