• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you guys put Ranger boats in a class of their own? Or is it just me

ZEEK1223

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H.P. or not, Ranger has a Patent hull design that other manufactures have been trying to copy for years. Are the copiers bad? No, But a Ranger is a Ranger. And it is American built.

ZEEK, saying it is American built doesn't do a whole lot. Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner, and Warrior are all built right here in Minnesota, Rangers are built in Flippin, Arkansas. I am sure I am missing a gauntlet of others that are produced right here in Minnesota as well, but a lot of boats are American built.

Limitout and ZEEK,

In a couple years I will need to purchase a differant boat due to my family growing. Other than seat pedestal placement (which I see as the only advantage) and resale as I don't see how paying much more now to get a little more later pays, what would you guy's tell me to try to sell a Ranger over a Warrior or a Yar-Craft? I don't wanna hear "because it's a Ranger" or "It's the little thing's'. I want cold, hard, facts! As I have heard none to this point.

I'm not going to convince you of anything. YOU need to figure out if brand X works for what you want or not by weighing out the pros and cons and making that decision. It IS the little things in the end because the length/width/engine size is just part of what makes up the ideal boat for your particular needs and desires. What one person likes another may not. There is a reason one of the first things people say when talking about a Ranger is "fit and finish". Whether you agree with that or not is up to you, but it's mentioned a lot because of a reason. Is that worth the extra money? Again, up to the buyer as they are the one plunking down the cash.

If it come's down to personal opinion or preferenc why do you find it neccessary to laugh at or argue with anyone that doesn't agree with you? If you guy's are claiming they are in a class of there own I would have thought you would have a better reason than that?

All of the boats you listed have +/-. I think it comes down to which dealer provides the best service and how far(miles) do you need to go to get service. As far a Ranger goes 1 dealer wasn't very good(they no longer sell rangers) The other dealer treated me right and provided good service but I have to go 60 miles.

eyewarrior

I haven't seen anywhere where I was arguing, although it seems you wish to keep baiting this further when I've said repeatedly that it all comes down to personal preference. I also haven't thrown out statements essentially saying "brand X is junk", which pretty much started this slippery slope.

Whether you want to believe a boat is in a class of their own is up to you. I'm not going to convince you or anyone else and at the end of the day the boat does the talking.....but it's up to the individual to listen to it. smile

I understand that but I am wondering what put's them in "A class of their own"? That is what these 2 are arguing right? I think Ranger makes a nice boat but by no means are they in a class of there own. I don't work for Warrior and I don't think the are in a class of there own I just believe they are a better value that's my opinion. I do not lol at people if they like Ranger's better that's there opinion! I don't argue with everyone that comes on here stating why they like a certain boat. I just want to know a good reason why Ranger's are so much better that people put down all other boat's? And I haven't been given a reason yet. Maybe they work for a Ranger dealer or haven't been in anything but a Ranger that's fine just don't insult everyone else.

If you guy's are claiming they are in a class of there own I would have thought you would have a better reason than that?

I think Ranger's repuation for top quality boats, top quality customer service, and smooth and dry riding hulls is deserved. I've fished out of A LOT of different boats ..... Rangers, Warriors, Tritons, Skeeters, Alumacrafts, Lunds, Crestliners, Trackers, Smokercrafts, Princecrafts and a bunch of others I'm forgetting right now. I think Ranger has the best ride by far. I like the design and layout in Rangers for what I do in my boat and for the way I fish. I think the quality and the fit and finish in Ranger is top of the line ---- maybe other boat manufacturers can match it but I haven't seen any that have beat it. It's personal preference. It's also up to you if you think the price is worth it.

Those are the only reasons I can give you. Spend some time fishing in Rangers or taking rides in Rangers and maybe you'll think they're the best ..... or maybe you won't.

It's like they say about Harleys ..... if I have to explain it you won't understand it.

I've got to agree with LMITOUT in that if a person loves their boat, they are going to put it in a class of it's own and nobody is going to tell them any different.....period.

I, for one, have yet to find a boat I can put in a class of it's own. I haven't been in enough boats to do that nor have I owned enough boats to do that, from a personal standpoint. When I do find "the one", then for me, it'll be in a class of it's own, but for someone else, it might not be.

One aspect that absolutely cannot be overlooked though is longevity and size. Not of the boat itself, but of the manufacturer. Some manufacturers have been around for a good long time. They've had years upon years of r&d, testing, feedback, etc. Those that have been around for a long time are often time big companies as well. Ones that make a lot of money, thus have the resources to have top engineers, designers, run all kinds of tests, go through all kinds of trial & error, etc. That is why big, popular and a little more expensive isn't such a bad thing. It's a part of what it takes to stay ahead of the game and the competitors. Anyone who follows NASCAR knows why Hendrick, Roush, RCR and JGR are winning all the titles. They have the bigger teams, more money, more engineers, more r&d....everything it takes to be the best. It's no different for manufacturers of any other product.

To say a blanket statement that a boat is in a class of it's own, or a league of it's own, or in some way is better than all the rest just isn't true. We all know that. There will be those that are better built than others, I think that's true. But in the end, as LMITOUT has said time and again, it comes down to personal preference and personal observation. What might be one person's top of the class boat, might not be another's.

There's no reason to debate it. It is what it is to each person and should just be left at that. It brings me back to a movie my kids love to watch called The Grinch...."ones man's trash is another man's pot pourie" (or however you spell pot pourie) smile

WOW 9 pages to catch up with this one. As limitout states a boat is a very personal choice and we all make that choice for our reasons may it be price, layout, customer service, reputation, name, etc. and we all want to believe that we made a wise choice which is only human. And guess what we did, we all have a boat we like and it allows us to go fishing.

That said..I picked up a 07 2090BT warrior w/150 4s yam last fall and I really do like the boat. The layout, wash down floors, rod storage, ride, deep transom, work really well for me on Mille Las were I do 90% of my fishing. The other 10% is LOW, and Lac Suel both big lakes) My original choice was going to be a YarCraft which I liked very much but I saved over 6K with the warrior and it has many more standard features (I bought after the season was over in the fall so I did get a very good deal) With saving this much over a YarCraft I can only imagine what a similar Ranger would have cost! I little more resale value only goes so far when you are taking about saving over $10,000 on the purchase price of a boat.

One thing I did do is switch from the Warrior steering system over to the mertens system.

Nice rig. I realize alot of factors can go into the boat speed. Fuel, full livewells, calm or waves etc. What's your top end tournament loaded? What prop do you run? I have the same motor on a 2005 620T ranger. Hole shot really improved when I put a 19pitch Yamaha Reliance prop. Lost a little top end though. I am not trying to start an argument, just interested in the boat speed comparison. My top end tourney loaded 45 in waves 43 calm gps speed. I'm honest hope you'll do the same.

Thanks

eyewarrior

Thanks. I run the exact same prop and I got just over 41, 3 people and gear with a slight head wind on Lac Suel a few weeks ago. By myself on ML with fairly calm conditions I can get 47. I think you are right about the prop though as my top RPM is just over 5000. I would think I would get more but it is a fairly new motor still.

Question, What RPM do you like to settle into for a long run? (non tourny) I find the motor just settles right in at about 4000. speed is around 32 and she just seems to sip the gas. I spent a week on Lac Suel and I was amazed how little gas I used and we were all over the lake.

Ranger-Warrior about the same speed top end. An old saying about walleye fishing "its not how fast you can go its how slow you can go". No doubt about it I'd rather backtroll in a Warrior. Top of the line boats are all in a class of their own. This will be my last words about this topic. Good fishing to all!!

eyewarrior

I'll say it agian, why does everyone think that Rangers cost so much? When you compare apples to apples a Ranger 619 or 620 is no more expensive than a comparable Lund, Warrior, Skeeter or Triton. I have seen Pro-Vs up over the 55 grand mark, just like a Warrior and everything else. For those that want to argue, fish out of one first, then make your conclusion. If it's not your cup of tea, then so be it. But try it first. Now if you want to compare a Ranger 620VS to a Lund Classic, yes, the Ranger is much more expensive, you they are not the same boat.

Question, What RPM do you like to settle into for a long run? (non tourny) I find the motor just settles right in at about 4000. speed is around 32 and she just seems to sip the gas. I spent a week on Lac Suel and I was amazed how little gas I used and we were all over the lake.

I've been told by others the same thing about gas economy at lower RPM's. I have a hard time not going max whenever I can. I guess I'm always in a hurry to get to the next spot. With the price of gas I'll have to force myself to slow down. I've already done that with the suburban. Fishing & prefishing a tourney I go through about 10-12 gals a day. A full tank 33gals will last me on Mille Lacs for at least 2 days. Funny thing thats about the same MPG as my last boat a '98 75 Mariner on a V177 Warrior. 5 days ahead at Lake of the Woods I'll give it a try & let you know.

mnfishingguy,

2007 warrior 2090bt w/150 4S yam. duel axle trailer, SS prop, extra wheel/tire, splash guards, 50 gal tank etc. $34,500.00 + tax. Of course I added aprox. $3800.00 in electronics, vantage etc. Please let me know were I can get a similar new Ranger for that and I will go get it tomorrow. I think Rangers are a great boat.

Ranger does make a very good boat. It depends what type of fishing you intend to do.

In my opinion YarCraft, and Warrior are the way to go for Walleye fishing. I think the hulls handle the "walleye chop" better than the Rangers.

I looked at all three, and choose the YarCraft 1895 Storm tiller with a Merc OptiMax 135 saltwater tiller