• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New guy looking for info on trailer and motor.

In The Weeds

Question

Hello,

I have been offered a 16 foot Lund this summer and I’m looking for information on a motor and trailer for it. This will be my first boat and I’m not familiar with what to look out for. I don’t have possession of the boat yet, and all I know is that the max motor for it is 35HP. I’ve done some research and I believe it would need a short shaft. I’m hoping to find something on the less expensive side.

What would I expect to pay for a motor or trailer?

How do I know the boat will fit the trailer lengthwise and are the rollers/sliders adjustable? Any common issues?

I have a pickup truck and was wondering if the bumper hitch can handle the weight. I think the ball would be too high, how would I deal with that?

Obviously I will be looking at older motors so I was wondering what motors have a good history for reliability and such.

What size motor is best for fuel economy? I prefer to run as close to what the boat is rated for, but how much difference would a 20-25hp make if I found a good deal on it?

I did a search and haven’t found anything yet. I appreciate any help.

Thank you

15 answers to this question

In The Weeds, welcome to Fishingminnesota.com forums.

I don't have a direct reply to your questions yet, but I have to invite you to read our Rules and Regulations regarding this forum, placing or requesting links of any kind is not allowed unless the subject is a sponsor.

Very soon many people will pitch in and give you all sort of information.

My apologies, I was thinking of links to other threads on this forum so that I’m not bringing up old information. I have no intensions of breaking any rules or undermining any sponsors. I will try to be more careful in the future.

Welcome to HSO/FM!

Here is my two cents on the deal and just my opinion.

Believe it or not, I think you will have a hard time finding a motor and a trailer separate for a better price than buying the the motor/boat/trailer as a package deal. You might be better off selling the boat and buying the whole package.

Most older boats that you see for sale, the motor and trailer probably make up 80-90% of the value.

Having said that I would try to max out the rated hp and probably wouldn’t go lower than a 25hp.

If you go to the West Central Tribune in Willmar,Look the site up, look at want ads, there is a trailor just listed for $100.00.Trailors are hard to get and a motor at a decent price is even harder.

Welcome to FM. I agree with dtro, you would probably be better off getting the whole thing as a package. If you go the other way check out Criag's List or even the local hsolist to see if you can find what you are looking for. Got no less than 25hp, but I would try to get the 35hp if you can.

Thanks for the comments and tips, I was afraid that it wasn't going to be easy from what I've seen so far.

I'm still interested in opinions on good motors and trailers if anyone is interested in sharing. Are there some to avoid or others that would be a good find?

I guess if I was to get an older outboard tiller, I'd be looking for a 80's era OMC (Johnson/Evinrude). Those things if treated right are bulletproof. You should be able to pick up a 35hp for about 750-1000 dollars.

Then you can expect to pay anywhere from 250-500 for a simple trailer.

If you are buying new expect to pay about $100 per horsepower, 25hp = $2500. Is your Lund all decked out with flat floor and pedestal seats, or does it have the bench type seats? I have a 16 1/2 foot Lund with a 25hp Merc, flat floor pedestal seats, etc. and the 25 is really too small for it. I can't plane it out with 2 or more people in it. Not sure on trailer prices, but you could check prices at local dealers and go from there. We have been pretty happy with our Merc motors, our last one was 23 years old and had many miles on it when we got rid of it and got the new one.

The trailer you'll be looking for would have the short bunks and center rollers. Once you get it you'll adjust those rollers and bunks to the boat. The rear center roller will have little or no weight on it while the bunks carry the load all the way and past the transom.

Unless your going to use the boat on one of the motor routes in the BWCAW or any lakes with HP restrictions you might as well get a 35 HP if you can find one but a 25 hp would be fine. Fuel economy, well if your holding the throttle wide open on both the 25 hp will be better. If you can keep that to 3/4 throttle on the 35 hp it will get better mileage. I wouldn't shy away from any 70s or 80s OMC outboard. A clean carb, good lower seals, new impeller and it'll do its thing for you.

Measure the transom height on you boat. 15"=short shaft, 20"=long shaft.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it!

I'll keep this in mind in my search.

The Lund has bench seats and it looks to be in really good shape. I was told it was used at a resort. I’m not sure what version or year it is though.

Ok, I took good advice and found a set up that was pretty close to what I need. Thank you for your help! I now have a Lund SV-14 with a 1958 Evinrude. (It was a 14 foot and not a 16.)

There are a couple of things I'm not sure about and if I got myself into trouble or not.

The combo included a 14 foot Alumicraft boat with a short transom and I thought the motor was a short shaft too. But after reading some online and looking at what I have I'm somewhat confused.

It looks to be too long, but the forward intake holes are above the cavitation plate. (The part that was covered when the motor was tested.)

This is the motor on my Lund.

LundwMotor006.jpg

I proped up a ruler along the bottom of the boat to show how it lines up.

LundwMotor002.jpg

LundwMotor001.jpg

The last picture I tried to line the camera view even to the bottom of the boat hull similar to the line the ruler was at.

Also, the motor is for remote steering and came with the cables, box, and wheel unit. The boat needs to be modified and I'm open to suggestions on how to go about it. I was told the cable bolted up to the motor as shown, but I don't think so.

howto.jpg

I searched a bit online and found I need some linkages and that there are different set ups. I would appreciate any advice to help me along.

Thanks.

From the picture, it appears to be a short shaft transom and a long shaft motor. Not ideal and you might have some issues.

You are not going to know until you try it out I guess.

I would think you might have issues planing out, motor pulling to one side, and water splashing up into the back of the boat.

FYI: I brought it in and found out it is in fact a short shaft, but is an older motor and they were measured differently back then. So if I were to use a transom jack it would be too high. I was told by a couple of places before hand and they said it should work with a block under the motor bracket to get it up just a tad. So it would be within an inch.