• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A/C recharging

Please do not use the "stop leak" recharge kits. These can have catastrophic consequences to shop A/C equipment! If you (not directly implying you banderso) have used them and decide to have your system professionally serviced please inform them of the introduction of the stop leak into the system!!

Otherwise its pretty straight forward. Read through the directions and you'll be freezin' in no time! My personal rule of thumb is if it lasts the summer its good to go if it doesn't than it needs to be repaired! In your case I would suspect the evap core which is really common in Chrysler products. This can set you back at least $1,000 to have repaired!

It being a Chrysler, most likely there is a leak.

What you can do also is buy a leak dye test kit as well. Some service kits might have the dye in them all ready so check the label.

What happens is a phosphorescent leak dye is injected into the A/C system via the service fittings, charge system and run it for awhile until you notice it blowing warm again. The kit will come with a black light/test light and colored glass’s. Scan the entire A/C system for any glowing areas. Do not forget to check the evap drain nipple under the van, below the fire wall for traces of dye.

Good luck

I just recharged my RAM and was very easy.

My dryer unit was leaking bad, replaced with new one.

You have to add oil before you put gas in. Check with a parts store for exact kind, I needed some PEG 100, there's PEG 75, Ester type, and others. Then get a kit which included a hose with some sort of gauge, the gas, and refill following instructions. I used 4 small cans and I am freezing, no more leaks and I was able to drive all the way to FL and back staying cool. grin

Recharge cost approx $ 35.00 total

What about an older vehicle such as a '90 Accord? Aren't there different refrigerants for different vehicles, or you can't mix and match different "R" numbers? Maybe it makes no difference and I'm thinking of something else.

You would have an R12 system in the 90. The 2003 would have the R134a (new stuff) in it from the factory.

What you would have to do is look for the conversion kit at the same locations that sell the recharge kits and change over to R134a. It will contain new fittings and some other stuff. It will be very easy to change over to R134a.

10 years ago the possible change over form R12 to R134a was looked at like how people thought the world was flat way back when. grin This since has been proven wrong and is very easy.

I got a kit:it says to "be sure to connect to the low-pressure port usually located on the larger diameter tubing that runs between the evaporator and the compressor. DO NOT attach to high-pressure port, as can may burst."

Well with that warning,I want to be sure I've got the right port. I found what looked to fit the bill, but the connector does not fit, port is too large. It does, however, fit on another port located near the top of the cannister. I won't try this without some assurance that it is right. Any help?

It is a 1999 and does ask for r-134, which is what the kit is.

The fitting on the recharge kit will only fit on the low pressure port of the vehicle. The low pressure port on the vehicle is the smaller diameter one on the bigger line. The low pressure line is noticeable bigger than the high pressure line. The high pressure port will be the bigger one on the noticeable smaller line.