• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Charging Batteries.. ( ICE HOUSE)

The_King48

Question

I have a forced air furnace, lights, TV, DVD, and so on... At night I run the generator since I'm on LOTW..... Is there a way besides a bulky battery charger that I have carry around and switch batteries when one is charged.. I usaully have 2 batteries but I am considering 3..

6 answers to this question

I'm no electrician, but you can hook up an In/Con Verter just like the campers have. They run the 110v line in from line or generator and that runs to the panel. here's where i'm not technical, but it splits out the 110 line to the wall outlets and also converts the power to 12V DC to charge the batteries as well. My experience is with the Lodge fish houses, they have that technology built in. I leave my batteries in the house and when i bring the trailer home, i plug it in and it charges the batteries.

It is just one line from the Converter, and then i ran 3 batteries in Parrallel to keep the charge longer.

Here is some info from the lodge site on one of the converters.

7300RU SERIES CONVERTER/CHARGER SECTION -

This Replacement/Upgrade converter/charger section provides Parallax 6300 Series linear power centers with whisper quiet operation and ultra-clean, filtered DC power. Filtered DC power is free from spikes and surges, no matter how unstable the AC power source. Filtered power is ideal for use with today's sensitive appliances. A barely audible cooling fan is the only sound emitted while the unit is in operation. The full output rating is available for battery charging, virtually eliminating dead or drained batteries. Designed for indoor use only. Do not install in the engine compartment. UL/CUL Listed. Two year warranty.

45 ADC CONVERTER/CHARGER

"•Lower Section & Upgrade •DC OUTPUT:14.0 max. @ no load, 13.2 max. @ full load, 45 Amps"

PRICE MFG NUMBER

List Price: $297.28

Our Price: $267.55 7345RU

55 ADC CONVERTER/CHARGER

"•Lower Section & Upgrade •DC OUTPUT:14.0 max. @ no load, 13.2 max. @ full load, 55 Amps"

You could connect your batteries in parallel - they'd all draw off of each other extending your run time and when you charge charge all of them at the same time.

Does your generator have a 12V output option? You could connect the charger directly to your batteries that way and cut out the charger.

marine_man

As hoggs222 mentioned - create a jumper wire(s) that connect all the positive posts to each other and jumper wire(s) that connect all the negatives together.

You now will be discharging from 3 batteries at the same time and be charging all 3 batteries at the same time when charging. Understand that it will take longer to charge the batteries now since you're charging all 3 at the same time.

marine_man

I have an on board charger screwed to a plywood backboard in my battery compartment and my batteries hooked in parallel. I usually run my generator for about an hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening. This way I can use my 110v stuff and charge the batteries at the same time.