• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sportsman 500 break issues

Sutty

My breaks keep locking up. It sits for a long time since I use it mainly for ice fishing. I looked around to see if it was low on break fluid but I couldn't find where to check it... Any ideas?

Thanks

there should be a site-glass on the side of each of your resevoirs to check brake fluid level.

If it sits for a long time after ice fishing, it could be the rotors are rusting and have to be broke loose from the pads.

I know this is really obvious, but you didnt by mistake leave the parking brake on?

is there any debris or anything in any of the calipers?

if you ride it for a bit does it go away? Then when it sits does it come back?

i dont know if this helps or not but last year i had the same problem with my honda 4 tracks 300. easy remedy was there was no bevel edge on the leading edges of shoes, so i took a small metal file and put a bevel on the shoes. works just fine now because the edge of the shoes don't catch the drum unless i put the brakes on. Hope it helps. wasnt sure if you have rotors or drums since all ive ever owned is hondas.

Thanks for the tips, The parking break is not on ( I have done that before though...) The lever to engage the parking break is really hard to move though but again is not engaged. I'll pop the wheels off and check out the breaks.