• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

yamaha 75 4st and transom saver

mrjigger

Just picked up my new boat with a 08 yamaha 75 4st. Dealer said I probably didn't need to use a transom saver, but I opted to anyway. Cheap insurance IMO.

I got a bunk trailer, so it has the center roller on the back. I put the saver on the roller first then on the motor, then tilted the motor down.

I held the tilt/trim button down for what seemed like a long time. It just does not seem to be holding the motor in place very well. With a pretty soft push I can rock the motor from side to side with the saver on.

am I not holding the tilt/trim down long enough? My last motor was a 175 Yamaha VMAX and there was a distinct sound the tilt/trim would make that would allert me to stop. Then the motor would be firmly in place.

The tilt/trim on the 75 4st just seems to be making the same sound and it is obviously not "pinching" down on the saver enough to secure it in place.

any thoughts, tips?

What are your trim and tilt rams doing while you hold the button down and nothing is happening? Are the tilt rams (2 rams) retracting?

If so, when they're done retracting the tilt cylinder will take over and put the additional force on the transom saver.

marine_man

I just got this motor, so I am not positive, but I don't think there are any tilt rams with the 75hp. Just a single cylinder.

My 175Vmax did have the tilt rams, and your right, when they were done retracting the tilt cylinder would put additional force on the transom saver.

But my new 75HP, just does not seem to being doing that.

After I posted this subject last night, I went out and tried it again, held the tilt button down for quite a long time, nothing.

Can you hold the button down too long and burn the cylinder out?

I have a 90HP and it'll lift the boat off the ground if you let it. I wonder if you have a blown seal and it's leaking by? Maybe trim it up and then hold onto it with someone putting it in the down position to see if you can overcome the down pressure of the hydraulics?

Is there a bypass valve on the tilt/trim? Maybe it's slightly open by accident?

One thing I probably should add. This is a tiller model Yamaha 75 4st.

Never had a tiller before large enough where I thought I should use a transom saver. So it is kind of new to me.

There is a tension lever on the motor. I have the tensioner as tight as it will go. But maybe I should tighten the bolt down a bit.

The tiller obviously does not have a steering cable like a console boat would have. Will a tiller rock back and forth more than a console boat would with the transom saver on?

It shouldn't rock too bad. What is the connection between the transom saver and lower unit like? Tight?

If so, some guys bungee their tillers to stay in place, some lock the steering tension adjustment.

marine_man

I have a 60 Merc 4 stroke and it does move back and forth but not that easily. However when I take off it will move to one side and stay there the rest of the trip. This doesn't seem to cause any problems. It just doesn't look as cool as a motor that is centered.

I have the same motor, Is the motor rocking up and down or swinging from side to side? My motor swings to the right if you facing the back of the boat. If you tighten up the steering lock that should keep it in place from swinging side to side. I have found that it does loosen up again after time.

Don't rely on the steering tensioner too much, they are junk. It is about the only thing Yamaha desinged poorly on that motor. I have a 2005 75 hp and the tensioner wore out quickly.

I use the transom saver and once the motor is down there is a little play but not much.