• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tipping a boat over?

fluidmotion

I am new to boating and was wondering how hard it would be to tip my Larson 186SEI (almost 18 ft) over. It has a Volvo Penta 3.0L and tops out at about 35-40 mph.

For example, if I had it at 35 mph and did a quick full turn, would I have a high chance of tipping over. Also depending on the wake of course.

Do people tip over power boats often?

Thanks for your answers.

I would think it would be hard to flip that boat over. I have a 165 and it doesn't get tippy. When I take a sharp turn I throttle back. I don't like pushing the limits or having the oposite side of the boat laying on the water when I turn. I would take it easy on the turns IMO. I don't think it would tip, but if you hit a wake right it could or could take on a lot of water and cause problems.

Welcome to FM by the way.

Wecome to Fishing Minnesota!

In my experiences it's easier to almost tip a boat (or take a heck of a wave over the bow) with a I/O if you trim all the way down, crank the wheel hard to one side and then run the throttle up.

As Northander said - drive safetly and you'll be fine.

marine_man

I've done alot of dumb things in my boat, got a little wet, took on a little water, but never came close (that close) to flipping it. I've got smarter since thing...

There made to float, they will handle more than you will, but don't push it.