• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bathtub to Shower

My bathroom currently has a tub with no shower, which I am wanting to add. There is tile half way up the wall around the the tub and there is also a window above the tile. I am wondering what the best way, without spending a lot of money, would be to add a shower to the bathroom. Any input would be appreciated.

Two things I can think of. A buddy had the same issue. He went online and found a shower that comes with a new spout for your tub. It connects to the spout and the water pipe runs up the wall external and you just bolt it down. It works and only around a hundy. The other is to rip out the wall (or if you have access to the back you can do it that way) and put in a new fixture that has a shower head. It's a pain in the rear, but it's very doable and takes a weekend.

My friend had the same issue a couple of years ago. She added the external shower head unit mentioned above, and went with the shower curtain rod that encircles the tub. That way, you still get the light from the window, but protect it from water. You use two shower curtains instead of one. Since her tiles were not high enough at the front of her tub, she took out all the exsisting tiles, and replaced them with the sea glass looking tiles. It really updated their bathroom without having to rip everything out.

The spout Sand is refering to would be the cheapest. Been awhile since i seen one but it has a hose connection on the bottem of the spout. Then get a get a hand held with bar that has an adjustable hieght. The window will still more than likely get some overspray but you will have your shower. Unless you are realy short!

Keep the water off the window with a full shower curtain or plastic window curtain. Still theres a lot of moister that'll get to the window and into your interior wall. You'll need to extend the tile too, whats there now really isn't intended for shower walls though. That would be the cheapest way along with the add on shower head. That however is IMO a temporary solution and one that is not attractive at all. I'm guessing you have and older home. The window is there for ventilation. I'm guessing you don't have an exhaust fan in the bathroom. You really should get rid of the window and add the fan if you don't have one. Sooner or later that'll be what you have to do and in the long run it'll be cheaper to do it right the first time.

Depending on the layout the fan might be the hardest part of the job. That'll get vented through the roof or out and exterior wall. The later will need insulated flex duct.

Remove the window, cover the exterior with OSB and patch the siding and insulate.

If you went with a tub surround you can remove the tile and go over your old wall. If you want tile you'll, remove the tile and sheetrock, install new shower head and controls, put in a vapor barrier, and replace with a water resistant cement backer board.