Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Wettschreck

Strut or CV joint???

19 posts in this topic

93 Grand Am.

When I turn to the right, either sharply or just taking a curve, I hear and feel a very slight thump, thump, thump coming from the drivers side wheel area. It's not the real loud thump thump that is normally associated with a CV joint.

I put brakes on my car the other day. While I had the wheel off I looked for something noticeable, and didn't see anything. The CV boots looked good (I realize a good boot doesn't mean the joint itself can't be bad), nothing wiggled, things looked good.

Any suggestions???

It sounds like you have already came up with the best answer yourself, sounds like a bad c/v joint to me as well!

How about a bad bearing in the hub assembly? Normally they will hum when going bad, but I have seen some that thump.

Quote:
I hear and feel a very slight thump, thump, thump coming from the drivers side wheel area.

BG,

Are you sure it is not a Loud sharp tickity tickity tick? That noise has been the badge of a worn C/V joint since front wheel drives come on the road.

A thump thump thump, to me could also possibly be a tire issue.

How do the tires look? Is the inside edge worn. Run your hands down tread and see if you find some flat spots.

If this is not the case, it could be a c/v joint.

I was thinking CV joint from the get-go, but it's not the louder noise I'm used to hearing. No hum, no tick tick, the tire wear looks very even. I was hoping it was an out of balance tire so I had them balanced recently, and no weights were needed.

This is why I'm asking yous guys. I'm a shade tree mechanic not a tech. This is a dull thump thump thump that I'n not used to hearing.

BG,

Did they rotate the tires at that time? If not I would for gicks and giggles do it and see if noise goes away. Just cause tires balance out, does not rule out an internal cord issue. A big shot in the dark, but after a visual inspection, it would be one of the next steps a front end tech. would do and then test drive!

What brand of tire is it? Goodyear?

Another shot in the dark.....Does the noise change with braking? Corroded rotors could be a possibility. Sometimes when rotors get old they rust and corrode to the point that pieces that start to flake off and can cause noises.

Does the noise only happen on turns, if so how about when turing in both directions?

Only happens when I turn to the right. Whether it's a sharp turn or going through a curve. Turn to the left, no noise. Go straight, no noise. No noise when braking.

Last weekend when I did a brake job I installed new rotors on both sides. So, I know at least they are good.

Didn't rotate tires. I'll do that this evening.

Was the noise there before the brake work was done?

Could be a wheel cover.

Any noise change when accelling and turning vs coasting and turning?

While you are rotating the tires shake the wheel and check for lose wheel bearing. If it is ok, you could run the car on the jack stands (set it up safetly) and listen when the wheels are off the ground!

Noise was there before brake job. Just harder to hear with all the squeaking going on.

Accel and turn vs coast and turn, same noise. I don't think it's a wheel bearing. ( I could be wrong, tho) I tried to shake the wheels pretty hard and they don't move.

I would check the tires. Sounds like a cupped or flat spotted tire on the inside and/or outside edges. With some tires it doesn't take much to make noise.

Like stated early rotate the tires to see if there is a change.

How fast are you going when it makes the noise. I would bet that a left front wheel bearing is in your future! It has all the classic symptoms. No noise straight, gets louder when you turn right no noise when turning left.

Speed doesn't matter. Even when pulling out of my driveway the noise is there.

This evening I'll rotate tires and try to put the shakin of a lifetime on the left front again to see if I get any wiggle.

One more thing BG, does this have hubcaps/wheel covers? If it does take them off and see what happens. I just had a cavalier last night making "rubbing" noises. Turns out the wife (likely story) likes to ride up on curves and ended up pushing the wheel cover into the rim so that it was wedged out of place.

Quote:
try to put the shakin of a lifetime on the left front again to see if I get any wiggle.

May I ask what this means? grin Sounds scary!

Airjer,

that question was brought up all ready, but you never know wink.

I didn't see a reply? Don't want to steal fishintechs idea but i think its important enough to at least find out/rule out.