• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is/ How to get rid of this "straw" grass?

Jameson

Looks like quack grass to me. I am sure some of the more experienced guys will know for sure. If it is quack you have to use a "Round Up" type of herbicide. That will also kill your good grasses so some people will use a small brush and paint the individual stems. They used to make a hockey stick type of tool that would wick the herbicide on a pad. You would let the quack grass grow higher than your lawn grasses making it much easier to "paint". Good luck.

It will just grow in larger numbers. There's really nothing too harmful that comes of it, just that it grows faster than the other grass, will eventually kill out the other grass, and all in all, most people will think of it as rather unsightly.

That is quack grass. . . . .Based on what my lawn guy told me there is NOTHING you can purchase that will kill it and not your lawn. I've tried the "Paint on Roundup" technique and it works to a point. It's a slow process but it works. The best thing you can do is have a thick lawn to choke out the quack grass.

We have another post going on about quack grass that I started a few days ago.

Apparently a product called "Certainty" will take care of it. I tried to buy some today from Lesco, but they are all out of it, and none of their local stores have any. The guys at Lesco said it works very well for quack. It is available on hsolist for $139 for a 1.25oz bottle. I am going to order it tonight.

My lawn guy said Certainty will kill my grass and the quack grass. Apparently it only works with certain type (s) of grass. I would apply it to a small section before hitting the entire lawn.

Well, I've been "painting" my Quack Grass for 2-3 weeks (every 3-4 days)w/ Round-up and it hasn't changed. It looks greener every time. I guess that's why I asked "what's the end-result/downside to NOT killing it?" Just wondering what I'm gonna end up with.

Maybe I need to mix it stronger - but, I mixed it a little bit more concentrated than the instructions.