• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wax on, wax off

Tadpoletodd

Question

I recently purchased a fiberglass boat and was wondering what you guys & gals used to wax or protect the finish of your boats. I personally have a dark metallic red and want to do what I can to keep it looking good.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what a good gelcoat/fiberglass wax would be?

Also, is there a good one-step marine application that you spray on and then wipe off for quick and frequent cleaning and protection?

Any advice would be appreciated?

13 answers to this question

I waxed my boat a few weeks ago with Mother's paste wax. I just used a hand applicator so it took a while, but it wasn't too bad. I just did small sections at a time and worked my way around the boat. Better to do it now when it's cool than later when the sweat is dripping in your eyes!

edit: I used Mequires carnuba wax, not Mothers. Sorry.

I washed my boat last night and didn't dry it down..just stuck it back in the garage. Tonight I took my bottle of Restore and went after it. It looks as good as it did when I waxed it a couple of weeks ago. It takes a little work but really what doesn't when it comes to detailing a boat? Just spray it on, rub it around with a cloth, then take another dry cloth and wipe off the haze that is left after it dries and it's shiny-smooth again.

I haven't used the Wonderfoam yet since I just waxed the boat and didn't have any heavy deposits to deal with. If you have a "rode hard and put away wet" boat that has been neglected for a while, then the Wonderfoam is supposed to really knock down the oxidation and hard water spots. The Restore is a polish that can be used to bring the shine back.

I give the Restore a waytogo.gif

I use both Restore and Wonderfoam on my boats and they work very well. The Wonderfoam will take calcium depostis off of outboards if ou have them. I don't recommend using Wonderfoam on plastic parts of outboards or bare aluminum. It will discolor some plastics and will streak bare aluminum if left on it for a while.

Meguires (sp?) works wonders. I use it on my Lund but I know my buddy uses it exclusively on his Triton (glass). I usually use the "Quick Wax" which is a spray on, spread around, let dry (usually only a couple of minutes) and then wipe off. I'll also use the "Quick Detailer Mist" if the boat is just a little dusty or has water spots on it. In my opinion, there's no need to look at another product.