• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sportman 500 stuck in 4/4

peerchking

2006 500 when i move the thumb swich it shows it going in and out of 4 wheel but it is dtill stuck in. I tried backing up and everything else I could think of but still stuck. any ideas on what causes this and how to fix!

Thanks

Just doing a quick search on this, there isn't a quick fix that I can see. Check the hub fluid and are you running stock tires? All the same size?

Aside from this, maybe have a dealer check it out unless you are mechanically enclined.

Post copied from nyroc HSOforum...........

My Father-n-law bought a used 2004 Sportsman 600 twin. Looks New low miles and Hours. After He rode it a while he noticed that it was never in 2wd. The front wheels always kicked in no matter what the switch said.

1st: We drained the fluid and put brand new Polaris Hub oil in. No change

2nd: Then we searched the web. No fix, all recommended changing fluid.

3rd: Took the diff out and took it apart. Then we saw the poblem. even with the switch off the coil still held enough magnetic force to hold the armature plate keeping it in AWD all the time. Ok so now we see the problem but how do you fix it.

Well we new the distance from the actual coil and the Armature plate was the prob. The plate showed a little wear but not much. We used a DA sander and carfully sanded the armature plate until the two ring like wear marks were not visible and then reinstalled it.

Works perfect!

There is an updated part number for that armature plate. The new one has less surface area so it won't stay stuck to the coil even when the switch is off. If you end up taking it apart yourself, be sure to carefully inspect the plastic cage that holds all the rollers. If there is even a small crack in that cage, you're 4X4 will stay locked in.

As mentioned previously the armature plate sometimes had a tendancy to stay engaged due to the plate being too flat. A quick fix to this that I have found is to remove the hub and take the armature plate out and place it on a flat surface and take a center punch with a slightly rounded tip and place a small divit or dent in the armature plate. This will allow it to still engage when you switch it to 4x4 but when you switch it off the small dent with allow the plate to break the magnetic field and disengage the 4 wheel drive. It's a little bit of a pain but it's relatively easy and will save taking it in. Hope this is clear enough and helpfull. If not, shout back and I will try and get in touch with you to explain it better.