• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor Problems...

TopwaterTom21

Question

I have an older model (late 90's early 2000's) minkota 50# thrust trolling motor. I have it hooked up and tried it the other day at home it worked just fine, I brought it out and the prop won't spin. It will turn but the prop will not spin. The power meter was on at home but wouldn't come on out on the lake. What could this be the result of? Thanks for your help...

10 answers to this question

Are you saying the shaft spins but the prop doesn't. If so, check if the pin is broken or not. I use to have a few of these 50 lbs thrust kota's and would always bust the pin whenever I hit something solid when the prop is spinning.

I'm lost on the power meter, what is it?

The pin is locate on the shaft just behinf the prop. You have to take the prop off then you'll see the pin. It's a short little pin about 1" long and it goes through the shaft, you can't miss it unless it falls out when you take the prop off, even then you'll still see a hole through the shaft where the pin goes. If it's broken, simply buy a new pin, fleet farm sell them too. Buy and extra one so you have a spare incase you accidently break one again.

Reverse polarity on the older PD units (non-AP) would make the steering opposite of what it should be, but the PWM circuit of the control board is reverse polarity protected - thus not allowing the prop to spin. Just something else to look at.

I think hes saying the it will change directions but no power to the prop. You probably have a dirty connection where the foot control meets the motor. Or you have to the lever off at the foot control.

Thanks, after rereading it, I was way off.