• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size/type of ATV for work chores at cabin

NoviceFishingDad

We just purchased a lake cabin with some acreage. In order to maintain the shore line, woods and lot am thinking either an ATV or a small yard tractor would be helpful.

If I were to get an ATV, what size and features would you recommend. At this point I envision it to be used in hauling weeds, wood, moving boat trailers around (loaded and unloaded) and possibly launching a boat or two (if possible) and pulling out docks and boat lifts, etc...

At this point I have no experience or knowledge about ATVs so am asking for your input on any recommendations. I would assume at least a 500 4X4, but am not sure. I like the idea of the ATV over the tractor as me and my boys can get out on some trails too.

I know you can put a plow on these things but was wondering if there is any way to put a small bucket for lifting or scooping small loads? May be a dumb question, but I figured I would ask...

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Novice Fishing Dad

I've seen smaller buckets for them. For what you want to use it for I would go as big as you can afford. Can't have too much power. I think a 500 would work, but if you go to a 7 or 800 I would go that route. I just got one myself so no pro on the subject, just tell you that's what I would. You can find a lot of the accessories at Fleet Farm for a reasonable price as well.

Novice,

you came to the right place with questions.

For your intended useage, I would personally recommend a Class II ATV, i.e. Polaris Ranger, Yamaha Rhino, Kawasaki Teryx, or Artic Cat Prowler. All of the above are available with 700 cc class motors. The Ranger is probably the most utilitarian of the group with the Teryx being the most versatile, not to mention their top notch motor in the Teryx.

They have a dump box either as standard equipment or as an option. Depending on what machine you're looking at. You can also add a plow onto these machines. There are more trails available now that are open to Class II ATVs with more to come.

Swisher does make a bucket that you can add to an ATV, but I couldn't tell you how well they work.

If money was no object and trail riding wasn't your intent, I would recommend a Bobcat Toolcat with the accessories, but you're looking at $35,000 plus.

You could get by with a Class I ATV with the exception of pulling a dock. I wouldn't recommend this class of ATV for the average dock. Overall size and weight of the machine being the biggest factor here. Beyond that, there are more recreational opportunities available for a Class I machine.

If you have any other questions, let us know. Others will chime in with their input as well.

I agree with the class 2 idea. More weight for pulling and you mention "boys" (plural), which means you will be riding with more than two people. The class 2's (besides the RZR) can be outfitted for smaller kids back seats on the bed for trail riding. Down side is they are around $10K new. The Bigred from Honda when it comes out may be the best bet, if it has a low range and no belt to ruin while pulling really heavy things, like a dock.

The bucket idea, I wouldn't even consider it. It looks hokey and not strong enough to do much of anything.

A "2-up" machine may also be an alternative. Longer wheelbase so you won't have problem with a lifting front end as much when pulling something heavy and is comfortable for two people. They also seem to be heavier giving them better towing capabilities.

For what you plan to do, I would say 500cc would be minimum.

If you do go the UTV route you should consider the Yamaha Rhino 450. It is lower geared as well as price.It will do everything it's bigger brother will do (the Rhino 660), just not as powerful. If you go the atv route look into the Suzuki Vinson 500. It will pull trailers with a heavier tongue weight better than the independant suspension atv's. You can also get it in a foot shift or a belt driven automatic tranny. Lot's of options!

Thanks for the responses - great info. I will check out the class II variety - I think the utility aspects of these make a lot of sense. The thought of paying $10K makes me lean towards a good used tractor but I am definitely going to check them out.

LEP7 - its funny you mentioned the bobcat option - I told my wife the other day that a skid steer machine really made the most sense for handling all of the various chores we needed to cover. She was not too crazy about the idea as she thought it was just a way for me to go one up on my father-in-law (we kid back in forth about who has the most toys and toy storage - he has me beat hands down). Seriously though, a good used skid steer type machine really would do the trick.

Any recommendations for a good dealer near Rogers or Deerwood?

Thanks again everyone for the great information!

Regards,

NFD

I've heard both good and bad about Mies in Watkins. Based on ads that I've seen, they seem to have some of the best pricing.

Bristow's might be another to look into. They're both sizeable dealerships.

People kid about my dad and I trying to "one-up" the other. I have a Rincon that is incredibly quiet, but he has the Rhino. I have him beat on the lawn tractor though :):)

Mies has a great Parts and Service department but I have found their prices to be "proud" as they tought that they are the worlds largest Polaris dealership.

I have been treated well by Jim's Snowmobile and Marine in Holdingford on several occasions. I will purchase my RZR from them when that time comes, probably a few years off.

Just thought I'd toss my $.02 in as I do a lot of the same stuff that you describe up at our place.

For full disclosure, I have a Polaris X2 500, and it has done everything I've asked of it, and then some. I have plowed a 1.5 mile stretch of road with 12+ inches of snow several times, chained and pulled 1000# loads of logs around, towed utility trailers, log splitters and the boat (18' fiberglass) around with no problems. The dump box is also extremely useful - I use it more than I ever thought I would.

Considerations: How big/heavy is your boat? I pull mine around, but not for long distances and I have not used it to launch. Mainly to move it around the property etc. A larger class would have no problems with it I'm sure.

How heavy is the dock? I don't have a dock, so I haven't used it for that. I have a buddy who has a full two place dock and he uses an 800 Sportsman on it with no problems.

Just my thoughts, but I'd look at an ATV first. You should be able to do everything you need to do with it, plus have access to all the trails. A 2-up would be a great option for you - plenty of storage and the capability of a passenger. Polaris added a 700cc class X2 for 2008...this might be a nice way for you to go. More power, the dump box would be great for the weeds, logs etc., and you'd have optional passenger seating.

The X2 also has "Turf mode". I don't know if you have a lawn or not, but this would help prevent tearing it up if you're going to be riding on it.

Again - Just my thoughts. Lots of options for you. Hope this helps.

I also have the Polaris X2 500. We really like it, haven't used it a lot for hauling around the yard as we just got it in January. But it sure is a fun machine for riding, used it a lot to get out on the ice. We only got it stuck in the snow once, and that was the weekend we had 36 inches of wet stuff. We got ours in Hill City for $6400 and it is a 2007

Here's the hubby riding it before the big snow

Popo.jpg

Thanks for info and suggestion on the X2. I do agree that a 4 wheeler has more entertainment potential. I will be heading out to a dealer to look at all the options. Then probably try to find a used version of whatever model I decide on (just bought the cabin, so feeling a little post purchase shell shock...).

The boat I would be pulling around is a 17 ft Lund Explorer - not sure how heavy it is, but I would be launching it right on my lot where it is very level. The dock is 48 ft all wood - so very heavy - may have to just take it out in sections. However down the road plan to upgrade to a longer roll in version.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Regards,

NFD

I forgot my thought on the dump bucket. I haven't used one personally, but I did consider one once. After looking at them I decided not to do it. They just didn't seem to be worth it to me, especially using the winch as your lift mechanism. I go through a cable a year just from plowing, and that's just raising and lowering the plow blade. I can't imagine that they would last long hauling loads of dirt/rock/sand around. Synthetic cable may be a different story, but I would take the $$ you'd spend on the bucket and get an ATV utility trailer and a good shovel personally.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do!

In my opinion the 500 is the perfect size machine, enough power to do pretty much anything your going to do with an atv and in my experience you will loose traction long before you loose power. You should take a look at Arctic cat wheelers because they have the speedrack system which is pretty handy.

I'd definately go with something in an automatic transmission. Personally I'd go with a Polaris 500 sportsman. Plenty of power for what your going to be doing. A winch will probably be a must in your situation and there are multiple attachments to get things done.

I also agree with checking out a Polaris Sportsman X2. It's hard to realize how hand the box is until you use it. It also has the option to convert to a second seat for any passengers, and the price should be a good deal cheaper than any class II machine. What engine size is up to you, but after riding the 500, I think it should have enough power for what you need.