Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glenn57

minnow alert!

12 posts in this topic

ive been hearing that minnows, especially shiners are going to be next to impossibly to get for opener. leeches and crawlers will be a bit more plentiful. anyone else know anything about this?

As fas as I know the shiners are not running yet in the local rivers and creeks.....

I know Gimps on Rice has minnows and shiners.

Talked to a bait dealer out in western MN this weekend and he said shiners were scarce. He had some but said there was no way he could keep up with demand for this weekend.

yea no one around the alexandria area has any really either its just to cold!

With the late ice out the shiners won't move into spawn so they become pretty scarce and expensive. I picked up some Gulp minnows just in case.

thats what I'm doing

doyles 24 hour bait by the airport in glenwood had plenty of lake shiners there on saturday.

if hes gettin them now im sure he'll have basically an unlimited supply by the weekend

I might have to stop by there I'll be up in alexandria for the opener too.

all the money he makes in there goes towards his kids college fund, doyle is a heck of a guy. its 24 hour pay on your honor so people dont abuse it!!!

That sounds like the place we stopped on our way west. Met the guy and his son and they were very nice. Felt bad because they were saying that someone busted down the door to get the pay box and you could see change and bills scattered on the floor.

We should've bought a couple dozen more shiners as we ran out by Monday and could've used them.

best bait around hands down. always fresh. i dont know about this year yet, but he usually has some rediculously big jumbo leeches too!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I was glad I had scratchers on thursday,,,, after 7 miles on the trail my skid looked show room clean ,,, put the scratchers down and all was good ,,,Trails are still rideable up here but showing some snert,,, Gonna switch to ice fishing till we get some snow cover again 
    • I thought it looked cool, the way it unfolds.   Run time indeed is an issue, and it would probably take slogging through them one by one to tell.
    • U have to keep telling us.......
    • duurrrr whats a heat exchanger I sold my trail sled and only have my f/c ice fishing sled now.   I was thinking about buying a new trail sled beginning of this year but glad I didn't I just don't have time for both ice fishing and sledding oh the hardships I have   I wish I lived in the mountains I think snowmobiling would win over fishing
    • Have the 8" k-drill. Bought it at the fishing show. Had it out about 8 different times and love it. No complaints. Very light weight, drill about 20-25 holes out each time. Only on Monday did I have to use a second battery, had about 21 inches of ice. I have two 5ah batteries for it.
    • It was awesome.....it is not exactly a new thing for presidents to lie, but the guy actually brought in clappers to clap for his lies about pee and crowd gate.....as this means somehow he wasn't lying his a$$ off?  Watching Spicer later in the day trying to provide cover for the boss was almost painful. ....if it wasn't so funny. No clappers there    #sidetrackedfromallthefirstdaypromises
    • Looks like great sub-flooring but not sure how well chip board products would hold up for a trailer top? Even if it's a covered trailer the slush and salt will do a number on the bottom side I would think? For the cost I would just put some 5/8th treated plywood down.
    • I used to sip cognac with a beer and I didn't even get in to whiskeys or bourbons until 8 or 10 years ago, so as a novice I started with the Canadian blends like Crown, Tangle Ridge and Pendleton and I'm more of a sipper using the old fashioned glasses.  I can't give recommendations on any of the really good brands, but if you ever see some of this... run screaming from the bar.  
    • Catfish is right up there with walleye, perch, trout, steelhead, salmon, flounder, grouper.....
    • What does it matter what Bernie Sanders had figured out considering the DNC blatantly rigged the primary against him? And then they tried with all their might to do it again and were exposed.   Face it, you party is fueled by people who are showing that they are the very ones they claim to be fighting against.    Immoral, intolerant, violent, judgemental and full of hate. 
  • Our Sponsors