• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coyote Newbie

I would like to start coyote hunting, but i have no rifle other than a .22. I am a big deer hunter and i own a remington 870 24inch fully rifle barrel and a 3-9X42 shotgun scope. i shoot the expensive high velocity hornady sabots. Can that be used for coyotes?

absolutely, but you might do better if you keep yourself camo'd and absolutely still and bring them in closer and use some buckshot. If you are pretty accurate out to 100 or even 150 yds with your slug gun, you can use that very effectively. I would not use a 22 LR on a coyote, a 22mag maybe in the range under 100 yards.

Good luck, there is defiantely a ton of coyotes down around rochester, but they do get hunted a lot

If you plan on keeping the pelt a 20 gauge will blow the S&$t out of if, but will be a good 100 yard gun. As far as the hevi shot dead coyote load its also good to about 60 yards with the right choke. I use the jellyhead choke and at 50 yards it puts 15 pellets in a 10 inch circle.

my .22-250 will put a much larger hole with 50 grain hp's in a yote than my 12 gauge with remington buckhammer slugs. anything will make a big hole if it hits the wrong spot. if your not hide hunting use the deer combo and just get out and enjoy the sport. dont worry about this that and the other thing. if your looking at shot loads for your 20; i would look at dead coyote, #4 buck, or any goose load. pattern pattern pattern. you might find that a steel 3" #2 gives you a much better pattern than buck. you need to consider the amount of energy it takes to anchor a yote cleanly. there might be verified results that shows yotes getting anchored past 60 yards with different loads, but if your gun doesnt pattern them then your just going to educate a yote and give him a limp. take your time to learn all you can, and dont get frustrated. yotes are the smartest animal i hunt and im constantly getting beat. but to see one sit down roll over and play dead for good in the crosshairs makes all of it worthwile!

I would like to start coyote hunting, but i have no rifle other than a .22. I am a big deer hunter and i own a remington 870 24inch fully rifle barrel and a 3-9X42 shotgun scope. i shoot the expensive high velocity hornady sabots. Can that be used for coyotes?

Out here in farm country, that is the gun of choice for a great many yote hunters. 150 yard max shot for most guys. Only you know how good of a shot you are at the farther ranges, tho.

I use a 22-250 and a .223 an have also used a .243. One time I also shot one with the 300 but I go to eridacte the yotes and do not worry about the pelt. I believe a shotgun would work fine in the woods or thicker cover but those running shots at 150+ yards could be darn tough.

At the closer yardages, the shotgun with buckshot should work just fine.

If you plan on keeping the pelt a 20 gauge will blow the S&$t out of if, but will be a good 100 yard gun. As far as the hevi shot dead coyote load its also good to about 60 yards with the right choke. I use the jellyhead choke and at 50 yards it puts 15 pellets in a 10 inch circle.

LOL

Not even close! Shotgun is excellent on pelts! I use both dead coyote and 00buck out of my 12 gauge, no problems at all, I don't even need to sew up any holes!! I carry both 12 guauge and 22-250 on stand! I perfer to get them in too shotgun range just for the reason it won't damage to the pelts! Just my opinon, I shot alot of shotgun coyotes last year!!

The 2 out of the 3 coyotes in my avatar were shot with dead coyote 35 yards, didn't need to sew 1 of them up and got top dollar!!

Yep, a slug will be terrible on a pelt! But if your in it for predator control a slug will work fine! Dead Coyote is very expensive but well worth it if you are serious about coyote hunting! Another cheaper option would be to use 00buck or 4buck, very effective out to 60 yards, then its rifle time!!!

So what do you do with your coyotes on the round for the newbie? Where can you find selling locations? Would be a shame to let it go to waste, even for those that are into predator control.

I recommend looking in the phone book or on the internet for fur buyers in your location. Fur buyers usually start buying fur from October till the February. Most of my predator control happens in the spring months when farmers are concerned about livestock, Coyote furs this time of they year are not worth a dime. For a newbie, I would sell them on the round, I know a few that I sould on the round were averaging $20, but these were ND coyotes which usually bring in alittle more.

Walleyes12

Do you change your calling in the spring and summer? I do pretty good in the winter, but when summer gets here I have trouble calling them in. I have used fawn decoys and bleats and normal destress calls. Around this time of year do you have any tips.

I recommend in the summer months a couple of howls followed with some yipps and sit back and wait, don't over due it with the calls. Also, I recommend beating the heat of the summer, call early mornings and late evenings. Mid day the coyotes are going stay put and try to stay cool.