• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auto Pilot problems

bigeyes75

Question

I bought a new AP65 lbs thrust Minnkota and I was just wondering if anyone else is having problems with the auto pilot. I set mine and it holds its course for a second and then the thing starts to do a 360. I could use a little help on this issue.

7 answers to this question

I just purchased the same motor and it worked fine until we got in heavy winds last weekend. It did not do what your's does but it would not keep it on course even at the fastest speed. Maybe you could email Minnkota and see what they say. They were really good about helping me out with a problem I had.

------------------
Phyl

sounds like you need to have the compass recalibrated. I've read elsewhere that Minnkota shipped some product without calibrating. If it's new it should be covered under warranty. Call Motor Clinic in Bloominton.

we had the same problem with our auto pilot. but we just took it apart and cleaned it and it worked ever since. but if yours is brand new you may have a different problem.

First of all, I want to say that once you get use to an autopilot, you don't want to be without.

Now the story, I have a 55 lb AutoPilot and it ran very well for almost 1 year. At the end of the 1st year, it started doing the 360 show as mentioned earlier.

I have had it to a Minnkota authorized dealer 3 times now. First, he replaced the compass and calibrated it. Worked at the shop. Got it on my boat, still didn't work. Then he said the only other thing that could be the problem is the coil cord, and he replaced that. I still have the problem. He thought it might be my boat wiring.

I called Minnkota and the rep I talked to said 90% of all autopilot problems are power related. Well, that sounded like what my service rep told me. So, the next step was to hook it direct to the battery bypassing the boat all together. I did that and same problem, so we know it isn't the boat wiring.

Well, there is only one thing left which I probably should have done right away was to replace the battery (which tested fine by the way). I now have a brand new battery, new compass, new coil cord and have the battery hooked up direct and still have the problem.

Sorry for the long story, but these are some ideas to try although they didn't work for me. I am still at the place I was last fall, and continue to get more frustrated. The only thing left that I can think of is something wrong in the foot pad causing issues. Next time I go out, I am going to lock it on a course, and disconnect the foot pad and see if it makes any difference.

I will let all of you know if I ever get this figured out.

If you wish to email me direct about this issue, [email protected]

I have an AP55, now going on two years old. Had frequent problems last year. Humidity seems to play a role, the less humid, the better it's worked. Had it in last winter to recalibrate and it's worked 90% better, but every now and then it still on occasion does the goofy things like 360's, hunting back and forth, etc. I'll never be without one, but I wish the reliability was a little better.

I've had an Autopilot for at least four years now. No problems at all. I do have the cordless remote control model. Wonder if that makes a difference with the problems you are seeing. Just a thought.

I am a BIG proponent of the AutoPilot series. We've rented a 17' Lund at Lake Vermilion for 3 years running. It's equiped with an Auto Pilot and I could actually fish all day without leg cramps and missed structure.However, when batteries get low Auto Pilots do funky things.I swore if I ever owned my own boat I would have an Auto Pilot on it. Last spring I found a used wireless 36#'er for sale and bought it for a small bass boat I share with a buddy here in IN. It works FLAWLESS. Oddly enough it was new in "96" and had barely been used. It had been in the basement of a widow's home and she was just getting around to selling it. Anyway, I'm smart enough to know that not eveyone's experience is just as good as mine but like an earlier post stated...Minnkota should take good care of a new unit and batteries do make a big difference. Batteries are a huge part of the equation on the foot control of the Wireless units too.

Dawg

------------------